This easy, cheesy beer bread with fresh corn is simply delicious and is perfect as a side dish at a barbecue or when served with comforting chili.
There are few things as wonderful as baking your own bread. However, baking bread from scratch can be daunting for some. You’re working with yeast and there’s all that kneading to do. Even though baking your own bread is actually quite simple, I totally get why some home cooks will find it intimidating. That’s where quick bread recipes come in to save the day. They need very little prep which is exactly the kind of thing I am looking for with easy recipes. One bowl, a wooden spoon and a loaf pan are all the equipment needed for this easy recipe. A quick mix and it goes into the oven. The smell of it baking will have you wishing the minutes away because it is guaranteed to make your mouth water.
Beer bread is one of my favorite recipes to make. It’s the perfect no-fuss side dish to anything from grilled meats and barbecue to comforting chili and stews. It’s also pretty fantastic served as is with a generous smear of butter.
How to make beer bread
Combine self rising flour (alternatively use all purpose flour and 1 teaspoon of baking powder), sugar, smoked paprika and salt in a large mixing bowl and whisk together. Pour in the milk, egg and beer and mix until just combined. Stir in the grated cheese and corn kernels. Pour the batter into a loaf pan lined with parchment paper. Place the pan in a pre-heated oven and allow to bake for 60-90 minutes until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
If the top of the bread is browning too quickly, loosely cover with foil. Once the bread is baked, remove from the oven and allow to cool in the pan completely before serving.
What kind of beer to use for bread
Most beer will work well in beer bread. I prefer a simple lager or pale ale but darker beer will add great flavor too.
What to serve with beer bread
- Chicken chili bowls
- Easy healthy chicken broccoli soup
- Instant Pot Guinness beef stew
- Easy Vegetable soup
Quick bread recipes
Easy cheesy corn beer bread
- 340 ml (+- 12 fl oz) beer standard size beer of your choice
- 1 egg
- 4 cups self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 cups corn kernels
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup milk
- Pre-heat the oven to 160ºc and line a 25cmx15cm (standard) loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, combine all the dry ingredients and mix together.
- Add all the wet ingredients then mix until just combined. Stir in the corn and cheese.
- Transfer to the prepared loaf pan and place in the oven.
- Bake for 60-90 minutes, checking to see if the bread is cooked after 60 minutes. Test by inserting a skewer, if it comes out clean the bread is cooked.
- If the bread is browning too fast, loosely cover it with a piece of foil and continue baking.
- When the bread is cooked, remove it from the oven and allow to cool before serving.