Coconut strawberry crumble bars
Easy strawberry crumble bars made with coconut cookie base and crumble is the most delicious dessert or snack with the easiest strawberry jam filling.
These strawberry bars with coconut almond crumble are delicious, easy to make and perfect as a simple dessert served with a scoop of ice cream or as scrumptious snack. The jammy strawberry filling can be made with fresh or frozen strawberries which means you can have these delicious bars all year round.
How to make strawberry crumble bars
In a saucepan, combine strawberries, sugar, lemon juice and zest and cornflour mixed with water. Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat and allow to simmer, stirring occasionally, until the strawberries are broken down and the mixture is jammy.
Combine flour, desiccated coconut, sugar, butter and an egg in the bowl of a food processor and mix until the dough comes together. Press three-quarters of the dough into the bottom of a deep baking ban lined with parchment paper. Pour over the strawberry filling. Crumble over the remaining dough and scatter over sliced almonds. Place in the oven and allow to bake for 20-25 minutes until the bars are golden brown and cooked through. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before slicing and serving.
How long will these crumble bars last?
When kept in an airtight container, these bars will last for up to 5-7 days.
Can I use frozen or canned strawberries for baking?
Recipes calling for the strawberries to be used as a jam or filling will be perfect for frozen strawberries. Canned strawberries are often too soft. Just remember that frozen strawberries will release a lot of liquid and you might need to adjust the amount of liquid you add.
- Blushing strawberry gin and tonic
- Strawberry pavlova with chocolate cream
- Easy strawberry jam
- Creamy pineapple and strawberry breakfast smoothies
- Strawberry and yogurt breakfast cups
Coconut strawberry crumble bars
For the strawberry layer
- 4 cups frozen/fresh strawberries
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1½ tbsp cornflour mixed with ¼ cup water
For the coconut crumble
- 2½ cups flour
- ½ cup unsweetened desiccated coconut
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup butter cubed
- 1 extra-large egg
- ½ cup sliced almonds for topping
- Line a 24cm x 13cm x 8cm (9in x 5in x 3in) rectangular baking dish (any dish suitable for brownies or cookie bars will be fine) with parchment paper and pre-heat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF.
- Combine all the ingredients for the filling in a saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium-low heat. Allow to simmer, stirring occasionally. Squish the strawberries with the back of a wooden spoon, breaking them up. Simmer until the filling has thickened and is jammy.
- To make the base and crumble, combine the flour, coconut, sugar, butter and egg in the bowl of a food processor and mix until the dough comes together.
- Press three quarters of the dough into the bottom of the prepared baking dish then top with the strawberry filling.
- Crumble over the remaining dough and sprinkle over the almonds.
- Place in the oven and allow to bake for 20-25 minutes until the bars are golden brown and cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before slicing and serving.
Cookie bar recipes