Easy creamy mushroom toast is perfect for breakfast, lunch and dinner and can be made in no time at all for a delicious, easy vegetarian meal.
Creamy mushroom toast has been a fail-safe recipe in my repertoire since I started cooking when I was 14. As a student, my then-boyfriend, now-husband and I would have mushrooms on toast often as it is so cheap and easy to make while being totally delicious. Now it is an easy breakfast, fast lunch, or simple dinner when I just can’t be bothered to cook a full meal. No matter what time of the day, creamy mushroom toast is ALWAYS a good idea.
Table of Contents
- Mushrooms. Use any mushrooms or a combination of mushrooms for the best flavor. Cremini mushrooms, white button mushrooms, portobello mushrooms, enoki mushrooms, shiitakes, etc are all good options.
- Butter/olive oil.
- Fresh garlic cloves.
- Chilli flake / red pepper flakes.
- Herbs. I used dried oregano and fresh parsley but rosemary, fresh thyme, sage and chives are all delicious.
- Lemon juice.
- Salt and black pepper.
- Bread. I used sourdough bread but any bread of your choice will work.
- Cream cheese. Ricotta or goat’s cheese can be substituted.
How to make creamy mushroom toast
Using a variety of mushrooms will result in great texture and flavor. Pan-fry mushrooms over medium heat in a large skillet or pan until well browned (sauté in batches to avoid crowding the pan which will cause the mushrooms to steam instead of sear). If the mushrooms release a lot of moisture, simply allow the extra liquid to cook off. Add garlic, chilli/red pepper flakes and herbs of your choice to the sauteed mushrooms and stir in a few tablespoons butter. Stir well then season with lemon, salt and pepper. At this point you can add a splash of cream but I find the butter does a good job of making the mushrooms nice and creamy.
Spoon the creamy mushroom mixture onto toasted bread slices smeared with cream cheese (optional) and sprinkle with chives, parsley or Everything Bagel seasoning (optional) before serving. You can also serve the mushroom toast topped with a fried or poached egg.
What is the best bread for toasting?
Thick slices of bread are good for toasting, especially when you’ll be topping the toast with something like mushrooms. Any of the following breads will work for toasting:
- Thick sliced white bread.
- Country bread
- Thick sliced wholegrain bread.
What can I make with toast?
- Polenta with garlic sage mushrooms
- Creamy garlic parmesan mushrooms
- Creamy lemon garlic mushroom pasta
Easy creamy mushroom toast
- 500 g (+- 1lb) mushrooms of your choice (cleaned and chopped)
- 3-4 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 tsp chilli/red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp dried oregano/thyme
- 2 tbsp butter
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- chopped parsley for serving
- 4 slices bread of your choice toasted
- cream cheese (optional)
- Heat a large frying pan over high heat then add a tablespoon or two of olive oil.
- Fry the mushrooms in batches, until well-browned all over.
- Add all the mushrooms back to the pan with their resting juices and add the garlic, herbs and chilli flakes. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the butter and lemon juice and stir well while the butter is melting to create a creamy sauce then take off the heat. Season to taste.
- Serve the creamy mushrooms on toast smeared with cream cheese (optional).