Easy creamy mushroom toast is perfect for breakfast, lunch and dinner and can be made in no time at all for a delicious, easy vegetarian meal.
Creamy mushroom toast has been a fail-safe recipe in my repertoire since I started cooking when I was 14. As a student, my then-boyfriend, now-husband and I would have mushrooms on toast often as it is so cheap and easy to make while being totally delicious. Now it is an easy breakfast, fast lunch, or simple dinner when I just can’t be bothered to cook a full meal. No matter what time of the day, creamy mushroom toast is ALWAYS a good idea.
How to make creamy mushroom toast
Using a variety of mushrooms will result in great texture and flavor. Pan-fry mushrooms until well browned (fry in batches to avoid crowding the pan which will cause the mushrooms to steam instead of sear). Add garlic, chilli/red pepper flakes and herbs of your choice and a few knobs of butter. Stir well then season with lemon, salt and pepper. At this point you can add a splash of cream but I find the butter does a good job of making the mushrooms nice and creamy.
Spoon the creamy mushrooms onto toasted bread smeared with cream cheese (optional) and serve.
What is the best bread for toasting?
Thick slices of bread are good for toasting, especially when you’ll be topping the toast with something like mushrooms. Any of the following breads will work for toasting:
- Thick sliced white bread.
- Country bread
- Thick sliced wholegrain bread.
What can I make with toast?
Love mushrooms? Try these recipes:
- Creamy mushroom pork chops
- Mushroom arancini with mozzarella and roasted tomato sauce
- Creamy mushroom pot pie
- Steak & mushroom pot pie
- Creamy lemon garlic mushroom pasta
- Easy creamy mushroom chicken
Easy creamy mushroom toast
- 500 g (+- 1lb) mushrooms of your choice (cleaned and chopped)
- 3-4 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 tsp chilli/red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp dried oregano/thyme
- 2 tbsp butter
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- chopped parsley for serving
- 4 slices bread of your choice toasted
- cream cheese (optional)
- Heat a large frying pan over high heat then add a tablespoon or two of olive oil.
- Fry the mushrooms in batches, until well-browned all over.
- Add all the mushrooms back to the pan with their resting juices and add the garlic, herbs and chilli flakes. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the butter and lemon juice and stir well while the butter is melting to create a creamy sauce then take off the heat. Season to taste.
- Serve the creamy mushrooms on toast smeared with cream cheese (optional).