This crispy mustard chicken recipe inspired by Ina Garten is a fantastic idea for dinner served with a simple salad. The chicken is juicy and flavorful with the perfect golden brown crust.
Table of Contents
- Chicken thighs. I used bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs. Substitute with any chicken of your choice. Chicken breasts won’t need to bake for as long.
- Dijon mustard. Smooth mustard works better as glue for the breadcrumbs to stick to than grainy mustard would.
- Panko. Any breadcrumbs can be used but panko always delivers the crispiest result. Use gluten-free breadcrumbs if required.
- Fresh thyme. Fresh rosemary, parsley, oregano, etc. will also work.
- Garlic powder.
- Salt and black pepper.
- Olive oil.
How to make crispy mustard chicken
Place the breadcrumbs, thyme leaves, garlic powder, a teaspoon of salt and half a teaspoon of black pepper in a deep bowl and stir to combine. Brush the dijon mustard over the chicken thighs Then press into the breadcrumbs to coat completely. Place the chicken in a baking dish or skillet and bake at 200ºC/390ºF until golden brown and crisp. Serve with a simple side salad or side dishes of your choice.
Can I make this ahead?
The chicken can be prepped with the crumb topping and place in the fridge, uncovered, for up to 6 hours before baking. Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days and reheated in a hot oven or air fryer.
What to serve with mustard chicken
I served the chicken with arugula/rocket dressed with olive oil, lemon, salt and pepper but any salad will be delicious. Crispy potatoes or sautéed vegetables are also a good idea.
- Easy green salad with lemon Parmesan dressing
- 10-minute lemon garlic sautéed broccolini
- Rosemary butter hasselback potatoes
Chicken thigh recipes
- Roasted chicken thighs with white wine garlic sauce
- Crispy chicken thighs with caper sauce
- Rosemary lemon chicken thighs
Crispy Mustard Chicken
- 2 cups Panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 750 g / 1½lb chicken thighs (8 medium thighs)
- 4 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/390°F.
- Combine the breadcrumbs, thyme, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a shallow bowl.
- Brush the chicken thighs with the mustard then dip into the breadcrumbs, ensuring every piece of chicken is coated.
- Transfer to a baking dish then drizzle over the olive oil.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove from the oven then serve with lemon wedges and side dishes of your choice.