This easy rotisserie chicken mushroom soup recipe is pure comfort in a bowl. Using rotisserie chicken makes this a simple, 20 minute gluten free weeknight dinner.
Table of Contents
- Onion. I used white onion but red onions or shallots can be substituted.
- Fresh garlic cloves.
- Mushrooms. I used chestnut/portabellini mushrooms but any mushrooms will work.
- Fresh Thyme. Dried thyme can be substituted, use half the amount. Other fresh herbs like parsley, rosemary, oregano or sage will also be delicious.
- Chicken broth/stock.
- Heavy cream/whipping cream.
- Rotisserie chicken. Any cooked shredded chicken will work, leftover chicken breasts work very well.
- Spinach. I have used both fresh spinach and frozen spinach for this recipe and both work well. No need to thaw the frozen spinach.
- Salt and black pepper.
- Lemon juice.
How to make chicken mushroom soup
- Make the base: Heat a splash of oil or a knob of butter in a large pot or Dutch oven set over medium-high heat. Cook the onion and celery until soft and translucent. Stir in the mushrooms and cook until golden brown. Add the thyme and garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Cook the soup: Pour in the stock and cream then bring to a simmer. Cook for 5 minutes. Add the chicken and spinach and simmer for another 5 minutes until the chicken and vegetables are all tender.
- Season and serve: Season with salt and pepper and add lemon juice to taste. Serve the soup with bread of your choice.
Can I make this ahead?
Soup recipes are perfect to make ahead. The soup can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days and up to 3 months in the freezer.
What to serve chicken mushroom soup
Crusty bread is always delicious with soup and is my go-to. This recipe is also delicious served over cooked rice for a soupy-stew kind of meal. Cooked white rice or brown rice will both work.
Easy soup recipes
Rotisserie chicken mushroom soup recipe
- 1 onion diced
- 2 celery sticks finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves crushed
- 500 g (1lb) mushrooms thinly sliced
- 2 tsp fresh thyme
- 1 rotisserie chicken shredded
- 6 cups stock
- 1 cup cream
- 3 cups spinach chopped
- pinch of chilli flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a splash of olive oil or a knob of butter in a large pot.
- Cook the onion and celery until soft and translucent.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until golden brown.
- Add the thyme and garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Pour in the stock and cream then bring to a simmer.
- Cook for 5 minutes. Add the chicken and spinach and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and add lemon juice to taste.
- Serve the soup with bread of your choice.