Baked lemon chicken is a delicious, easy dinner recipe that happens to be gluten- and dairy free and low carb. Perfect served with a side salad for dinner.
Weeknight dinners need to tick a few boxes. Tasty? Of course. Quick and easy? I mean, duh! Healthy-ish? Preferred. This here baked lemon chicken ticks all of those boxes and then some. The chicken only takes 5 minutes to prep before it goes into a hot oven to bake until golden brown and juicy.
The wine/stock, lemon, garlic and herbs make a delicious sauce, perfect served with mashed potatoes or rice. And if you want to keep it low carb, serve the chicken with a simple side salad or steamed greens. Now that’s weeknight dinner perfection!
How to make baked lemon chicken
Chicken leg portions are ideal for baking as they don’t dry out easily, however feel free to use any chicken portions you have/like. Place chicken in an oven-proof dish and season generously with salt and pepper on both sides. Add chopped garlic, fresh thyme and lemon slices to the chicken. Mix together lemon juice, wine/stock and season the liquid with salt and pepper then pour into the pan. Bake the chicken in a hot oven until golden brown and juicy with the sauce reduced.
What do you eat lemon chicken with?
The chicken is full of flavor and a real showstopper so serve with simple side dishes like:
- Easy side salad with lemon dressing
- Crispy salt and pepper smashed potatoes
- Easy marinated cucumber salad
- Garlic Parmesan mashed potatoes
Easy chicken dinner recipes:
- Easy creamy mushroom chicken
- One pot tomato basil chicken rice
- Lemon herb roast chicken
- Chicken breasts with olive, tomato and caper dressing
- Rosemary cream chicken pasta
- Chicken Piccata Thighs
Easy baked lemon chicken
- 1 kg chicken leg portions (approximately 200-250g (7oz) each)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- fresh thyme
- ½ lemon sliced
- 2 cups white wine/chicken stock
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice
- Pre-heat the oven to 220ºC/430ºF.
- Place the chicken in an oven-proof dish and season generously with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Add the garlic, thyme and lemon slices.
- Mix the lemon juice and wine/stock and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Pour into the dish with the chicken.
- Transfer the chicken to the oven and allow to bake for 30-35 minutes or until the chicken is golden brown and cooked through. The sauce will also have reduced slightly.
- Remove from the oven and serve with side dishes of your choice.