Juicy chicken breasts with a punchy olive, tomato and caper dressing is a great, fast summer meal. Not only is it gluten free and low carb, it’s also absolutely delicious and is great for meal prepping ahead.
This dressing is part salsa, part salad dressing, part topping that will make your mouth water and will have you eating it by the spoonful. It is jam-packed with bright and zesty Mediterranean flavors and makes such a great condiment to the juicy chicken breasts. The dressing takes minutes to make and can be kept happily at room temperature for an hour or in the fridge for up to a day. It actually gets better the longer it sits.
Table of Contents
- Chicken breasts. Boneless, skinless.
- Olive oil.
- Lemon juice.
- Kalamata olives.
- Mixed dried herbs. Italian herbs, Herbs de Provence, etc.
How to make juicy chicken breasts
This is by far the question I get asked most frequently. How do I make chicken breasts taste good? How do I cook juicy chicken breasts? I am here to answer all your questions and help you cook the best chicken breasts you’ve ever had.
First of all, it’s important to start with good quality chicken. If you have plump, fresh, free-range/organic chicken breasts, you’re half way there. Next is seasoning/marinating the chicken with all my favorite aromatics. Olive oil, fresh lemon juice, garlic, salt, pepper and herbs are your friends. And because chicken is such a plain protein, you can be heavy handed with the seasoning because it can take it. Slicing the chicken in half, horizontally (resulting in two thin chicken cutlets) allows for faster cooking which allows the retention of more of the meaty juices.
I like to use a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat and because the chicken is already marinated in oil, I don’t add more to the pan. The chicken goes into the pan (a good sizzle and a little smoke is a good indication that the pan is hot enough). Leave the chicken to cook until the sides become opaque and white then flip with tongs. The chicken breasts should be golden brown and look juicy. No more than two minutes on the first side. I then allow it to cook for another minute on the other side until golden brown then I remove it to a plate and allow it to stand for 5 minutes.
The resting allows the chicken to relax and helps it retain all the juices. Spoon over the dressing while the chicken is still hot and tuck in. It’s so good, you’ll want to make it again and again.
Should I marinate chicken breasts?
Marinating is a great way to infuse flavor into meat and can also act as a tenderizer. Because chicken breasts can be bland, I like using fresh garlic, lemon juice and herbs.
Side dish suggestions
- Crispy salt and pepper smashed potatoes
- Easy side salad with lemon dressing
- Easy tomato feta green bean salad
Chicken breast recipes
- 30-minute easy grilled chicken and vegetables
- Easy creamy mushroom chicken
- Lemon risotto with pan-roasted chicken
- Chicken quinoa salad with peas and feta
- Mexican chicken lunch bowls
Chicken breasts with olive, tomato and caper dressing
- 4 large chicken breasts sliced horizontally in half, resulting in two thin chicken cutlets
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2-4 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tbsp dried mixed herbs of your choice
- 2-3 tsp salt
- black pepper, to taste
for the dressing
- 1 cup Calamata olives pitted and roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp capers rinsed if salt packed
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup parsley chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine all the ingredients for the marinade then pour over the halved chicken breasts and allow to marinade for 5-10 minutes.
- Combine all the ingredients for the dressing and set aside (the dressing can be made up to an hour ahead and kept at room temperature).
- Heat a large, non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat then add the chicken breasts. Cook for 2 minutes on one side until the chicken is golden brown then flip and cook for another minute on the other side.
- Remove from the pan and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- Spoon the dressing over the cooked chicken breasts and serve.