This marinated cucumber salad could not be quicker or easier to throw together. Super simple, delicious & healthy, it’s perfect for casual summer feasting.
This cucumber salad is one of the recipes that remind me the most of my mom. My mom’s cucumber salad recipe wasn’t as chunky as my version. She grated the cucumber and onion which made the perfect accompaniment to many meals but I prefer a little more texture in my salads. The flavors are exactly the same though and I can honestly say there aren’t many salads that are as quick and easy to whip up while delivering such a flavor punch. It also happens to be our family’s favorite; my daughter can eat entire bowl-fulls on her own!
Full recipe with amounts can be found in the recipe card below.
- Cucumber. I used English cucumbers.
- Red onion.
- Vinegar. I used white vinegar but any pale vinegar will work.
- Olive oil.
- Lemon juice.
How to make marinated cucumber salad
- Prepare the vegetables: Peel the cucumber then slice in half, lengthwise. Using a teaspoon, scoop out the seeds and discard. Slice the cucumber into ½cm slices and place in a bowl. Peel and thinly slice the red onion and place in the bowl.
- Make the dressing: Stir together the vinegar, oil, lemon juice, sugar, salt and pepper then pour over the cucumber. Stir to coat then allow the cucumber to marinate for at least 30 minutes but ideally up to 2 hours in the fridge.
- Serve: Drain the cucumber then serve.
This salad is amazing served with grilled or roasted meat and curries.
Easy marinated cucumber salad
- 2 English cucumbers
- 1 red onion
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-2 teaspoons sugar/sweetener of your choice optional
- 1 teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
- Peel the cucumbers then halve lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds then slice into 1cm slices.
- Peel and thinly slice the red onion and place in a bowl with the cucumber.
- Combine the vinegar, lemon juice, oil, sugar, salt and pepper in a bowl and whisk together.
- Pour the vinegar mixture over the cucumber and onion and mix well.
- Allow to marinated for at least 30 minutes but up to an hour-2 hours before serving.