This marinated cucumber salad could not be quicker or easier to throw together. Super simple, delicious and healthy, it’s perfect for casual summer feasting.
This cucumber salad is one of the recipes that remind me the most of my mom. My mom’s easy cucumber salad recipe wasn’t as chunky as my version. She grated the cucumber and onion which made the perfect accompaniment to many meals but I prefer a little more texture in my salads. The flavors are exactly the same though and I can honestly say there aren’t many salads that are as quick and easy to whip up while delivering such a flavor punch. It also happens to be our family’s favorite side dish; my daughter can eat entire bowl-fulls on her own!
Table of Contents
This recipe couldn’t be simpler. I used English cucumbers but you can use Persian cucumbers too if you prefer. Although I don’t add them, fresh herbs like chives, mint, fresh dill or basil can also be added.
- Red onion.
- Vinegar. I used white vinegar but apple cider vinegar, white wine vinegar or white Balsamic vinegar will all work.
- Olive oil.
- Lemon juice.
How to make marinated cucumber salad (summary)
- Prepare the vegetables: Peel the cucumber then de-seed using a teaspoon.. Slice into ½cm slices and place in a large bowl. Peel and thinly slice the red onion and place in the bowl with the sliced cucumbers.
- Make the dressing: Stir together the vinegar, oil, lemon juice, sugar, salt and pepper then pour over the vegetables. Stir to coat then allow to marinate for at least 15 minutes but ideally up to an hour in the fridge before serving.
This salad is the perfect side dish and amazing served with grilled or roasted meat and curries.
Cucumber salad recipes
- Easy cucumber radish salad
- Cucumber, tomato and red onion salad
- Easy lemon orzo salad with cucumber and feta
Easy marinated cucumber salad
- 2 English cucumbers
- 1 red onion
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-2 teaspoons sugar/sweetener of your choice optional
- 1 teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
- Combine the vinegar, lemon juice, oil, sugar, salt and pepper in a bowl and whisk together.
- Peel the cucumbers then halve lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds then slice into ½cm slices. Add the cucumber to the bowl with the dressing.
- Peel and thinly slice the red onion and place in a bowl with the cucumber.
- Toss the salad to combine.
- Allow to marinated for at least 15 minutes but up to an hour in the fridge before serving.