This easy creamed spinach is absolutely delicious and a super quick side dish. It also makes the perfect omelette filling and is excellent on grilled cheese.
I’m so excited to share my easiest but most delicious version of creamed spinach. I make this creamed spinach recipe more than I’d like to admit. It is served alongside grilled or roast meat and fish, for breakfast on toast with eggs and bacon and crammed into completely decadent grilled cheese sandwiches. I have been known to eat it straight out of the pan for a lazy lunch too. It’s just so good! This recipe takes all of 10 minutes to throw together and is vegetarian, gluten free and low carb. I mean, what more could you ask for?
How do you make fresh creamed spinach?
Sauté spinach (baby spinach leaves can be left whole, larger leaves can be roughly chopped with tough stalks removed) with the garlic and spices in butter until wilted then add the cream and lemon juice and allow to cook until the cream has thickened and the spinach is completely cooked. Season to taste and serve.
What to serve with creamed spinach
- Lemon herb roast chicken
- Crispy salt and pepper pork belly
- Easy Tuscan roast chicken
- Easy lemon-garlic lamb chops
- My gran’s turkey with bread stuffing
- Easy weekday chicken pot pie
What to do with leftover creamed spinach?
- Creamed spinach grilled cheese sandwich
- Bacon, egg and creamed spinach breakfast toast
- Creamed spinach and chorizo baked eggs
- Spinach and feta stuffed roast chicken
Easy creamed spinach
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1-2 garlic cloves crushed (to taste)
- 8 cups baby spinach washed
- pinch of grated nutmeg
- ½ cup cream
- juice of ½ lemon
- salt & pepper to taste
- Melt the oil and butter together then add the garlic and allow to gently cook until the garlic is soft and fragrant.
- Add the spinach, salt, pepper and nutmeg and allow the spinach to wilt in the pan.
- Pour over the cream and lemon juice then allow to cook for another minute or two until the spinach is cooked through.
Bacon, egg and creamed spinach breakfast toast
Creamed spinach grilled cheese sandwich
I treid this recipe tonight and it was so tasty. I served it with roast chicken and we licked our plates clean. The lemon is an absolute must, adds just the right amount of zing. Thanks!
Yum! So glad you liked it Louise!
I love this recipe Alida! Could i do this with any other vegetables?
Thanks Diane! Chard and Kale would both work well when cooked like this.
Could I use chopped spinach for this? I have an abundance of fresh spinach in my garden needing to be used.
Could it really be that simple? I always thought creamed spinach was so much more complicated. Can’t wait to make this.
You could make it more complicated by making a white sauce first (this is how creamed spinach is classically made) and although I love it prepared that way, this recipe makes it an easy stand-by dish instead of one I only make every now and then.
I am currently on a low carb diet and have been looking for delicious side dish recipes. This is definitely one I’ll try!
I hope you love this Nadine! 🙂
Mary Ann | The Beach House Kitchen
I LOVE creamed spinach Alida, so I’ll definitely be trying your recipe! It looks so easy!!
You must, you’ll love it! x