Aromatic, Indian spiced Lamb Chops served with a tangy and sweet cucumber and red onion salad is a delicious, easy healthy dinner recipe.
These Indian spiced lamb chops have been a reader-favorite on Simply Delicious since I started my blog in 2009. It’s one of the recipes that I still get comments and questions about and so far, every person who has tried them has loved them. And it’s not hard to see why.
The spices used to flavor the lamb chops are warm, aromatic and delicious without being hot. This means that this recipe is perfect for a family dinner. It helps that it’s an easy healthy dinner recipe too! I love serving the spiced lamb chops with a crunchy, tangy cucumber salad to cut through the richness of the lamb. This recipe takes no more than 20-30 minutes to make and is a guaranteed crowd pleaser.
How to cook Indian spiced lamb chops
Combine Indian spices with olive oil, garlic and ginger. To prevent the garlic and ginger from burning, I mince them with a microplain to get them really fine. You can also use ground ginger and garlic powder if you prefer. If you don’t have all of the spices mentioned, Garam Masala (Indian spice mix) or a good curry powder can be substituted.
Rub the spice paste onto lamb chops and grill in a hot griddle pan until the lamb chops are cooked to your preference. Allow the lamb to rest for 5 minutes off the heat, before serving.
How long to cook lamb chops
Depending on the thickness of the lamb chops, cooking them for 3-5 minutes per side will allow the chops to caramelize and turn golden on the outside while still being juicy on the inside. The internal temperature should read between 60-70ºC/145-160ºF on a meat thermometer for lamb chops that are medium-rare to medium cooked.
Are Indian spices healthy?
Spices in general hold a lot of healing properties. Many promote healthy heart function, are anti-inflammatory, aid digestion and can even ease pain.
What to serve with lamb chops
- Crispy salt and pepper smashed potatoes
- Easy side salad with lemon dressing
- Summer grilled corn salad
- Easy spicy garlic baked potato wedges
- Easy, no-yeast flatbread
Indian spiced Lamb Chops with cucumber salad
- 4-8 lamb chops Depending on size and amount per person
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1-2 tsp chilli powder
- ½ tsp ground cardamom
- 1 tsp ginger finely grated
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 garlic cloves finely grated
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- lemon wedges to serve
For the cucumber salad
- 1 large cucumber, peeled with seeds removed (alternatively use baby cucumbers, chopped)
- 1 large red onion peeled
- 3 tbsp lemon juice/white vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- To make the cucumber salad, Slice the cucumber and onion thinly and add to a medium bowl.
- Dissolve the sugar in the lemon juice/vinegar and add the salt and pepper. Pour over the cucumber and onion and allow to marinate for 10-15 minutes before serving.
- Combine all the spices, garlic, ginger and olive oil in a small bowl and set aside.
- Rub the spice mixture into the lamb chops and repeat on the over side.
- Pan-fry/grill the lamb chops in a pre-heated pan/grill. You can also cook the lamb in the oven or on an outdoor grill/braai.
- Cook your lamb chops for 3-4 minutes per side and allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.