Pork souvlaki marinated in oregano, rosemary, garlic and lemon then skewered and grilled until golden and juicy is a great easy dinner recipe.
I absolutely love Greek flavors and these juicy pork skewers are a prime example of using those classic flavors in a simple, delicious way. Pork souvlaki is quick and easy to make and perfect for cooking on an outdoor grill or on a griddle pan on the stove. Serve with a simple Greek-inspired salad for a gluten-free, keto-friendly meal or go all the way and add tzatziki and warm pita bread for a casual feast.
How to make Greek pork souvlaki
- Marinate the pork: Cube pork steak or fillet/tenderloin (steak will give a juicier, more flavorsome end result) into bite-sized chunks. Combine olive oil, fresh lemon juice, finely minced garlic, oregano and chopped rosemary with salt and pepper and mix well. Pour the souvlaki marinade over the pork and allow to marinade for at least 30 minutes, but up to 24 hours.
- Assemble skewers: Soak wooden skewers in water for at least 30 minutes then carefully thread the marinated pork onto the skewers.
- Cook and serve: Cook the pork souvlaki on a hot grill or griddle pan for 5-7 minutes per side until well browned and cooked through. Remove and allow to rest for 5 minutes then serve with lemon wedges.
Can you cook souvlaki in the oven?
Yes, you can. Just take care not to dry out the pork in the process. Heat the broiler/grill of the oven to its hottest setting (approximately 250ºC/480ºF) and place the skewers on a rack set inside a roasting tray. Cook the skewers for 5-7 minutes per side until golden brown and cooked through.
What to serve with pork souvlaki
- Easy Greek Tzatziki
- Greek salad with fried feta cheese
- Easy flatbread
- Spicy garlic baked potato wedges
- Pea and feta quinoa salad
- Easy side salad with lemon dressing
- Sticky honey soy pork chops
- Salt and pepper pork belly
- Easy Greek pork chops
- Garlic herb pork fillet skewers
Greek pork souvlaki
- 1 kg (approx 2lbs) pork steak / pork fillet Chopped into bite-sized chunks
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 4 garlic cloves crushed
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp rosemary finely chopped
- 1-2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Combine all the marinade ingredients then pour over the pork. Cover and allow to marinade for at least 30 minutes, but up to 24 hours in the fridge.
- Soak wooden skewers for 30 minutes in water.
- Carefully skewer the marinated pork onto soaked skewers.
- Pre-heat an outdoor grill or griddle pan then add the skewers. Cook for 5-7 minutes per side until golden brown all over and cooked through.
- Remove from the heat and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- Serve with lemon wedges.