Juicy chicken meatballs cooked in rich tomato sauce tossed with al dente pasta is a delicious and easy family dinner recipe.
Table of Contents
Full recipe + amounts can be found in the recipe card below.
- Ground chicken / Chicken mince.
- Breadcrumbs. I used panko breadcrumbs but fresh/dried will work.
- Parmesan cheese.
- Dried Italian herbs / Italian seasoning.
- Garlic powder.
- Chopped tomatoes. I used canned but you can also use fresh.
- Tomato puree / tomato passata.
- Red onion.
- Fresh Garlic.
- Salt, pepper and sugar.
- Fresh basil.
- Pasta. I used linguine but any pasta shape will work in this recipe.
How to make chicken meatballs with pasta
- Make the meatballs: Combine the chicken, Parmesan, seasoning, egg and breadcrumbs in a large mixing bowl. I used panko breadcrumbs but feel free to use Italian breadcrumbs or fresh. Mix with a wooden spoon until the mixture is fully combined. With wet hands, form meatballs the size of golf balls.
- Cook the meatballs: In a large frying pan/skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the meatballs and allow to brown and form a crust before flipping. Cook until the meatballs are golden brown on all sides. Remove and set aside.
- Make the sauce: In the same pan you cooked the meatballs in, add a splash of olive oil then cook the onion and garlic until fragrant. Add the tomatoes and seasoning then reduce the heat and allow to simmer for 10 minutes. Add the chicken meatballs back into the sauce and allow to cook for another 10 minutes while you cook the pasta.
- Cook the pasta: Cook the pasta in a large pot of salted, boiling water until al dente, approximately 10 minutes (depending on shape). Drain then add to the pan with the meatballs and sauce and toss well.
- Serve: Serve topped with Parmesan cheese and fresh basil.
How to freeze chicken meatballs
Form the meatballs then place on a sheetpan lined with parchment paper. Freeze until solid and transfer to a freezer bag then freeze for up to 3 months. You can cook the frozen meatballs in the simmering sauce directly from frozen. Cooked meatballs in sauce can be frozen in a suitable container for up to 3 months. Allow to thaw completely then reheat over medium heat until hot and bubbling.
Chicken meatball recipes
Cheesy baked turkey meatballs
- 500 g (1lb) ground chicken / chicken mince
- 1/3 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 extra-large egg beaten
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1 tbsp dried Italian herbs
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
For the tomato sauce
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 2 tsp dried Italian herbs
- 400 g (14oz) chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups tomato puree / tomato passata
- pinch of sugar (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Parmesan cheese for serving
- fresh basil for serving
- 500 g (1lb) pasta of your choice
- Combine the chicken, Parmesan, seasoning, egg and breadcrumbs in a large mixing bowl. I used panko breadcrumbs but feel free to use Italian breadcrumbs or fresh.
- With wet hands, form the meatballs and place on a parchment lined plate or chopping board.
- Heat a large skillet or pan (Use a slightly deeper pan to make sure the sauce doesn't boil over) over medium-high heat.
- Add a splash of oil then add the meatballs, cooking in batches until they are golden brown on all sides. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan you cooked the meatballs, add chopped onion and cook for a few minutes until soft and translucent. Add the garlic and herbs and cook for a few seconds until fragrant.
- Pour in the chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, herbs, sugar, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes then carefully add the meatballs to the sauce. Cook for another 10 minutes while the pasta cooks. If the sauce looks like it's reducing too much, add ½-1 cup water or stock.
- Cook the pasta in a large pot of salted, boiling water until al dente, approximately 10 minutes (depending on shape). Drain then add to the pan with the meatballs and sauce and toss well.
- Serve topped with Parmesan cheese and fresh basil.