Left-over Roast chicken salad with goat’s cheese & sourdough croutons
So often after a lovely Sunday roast, I am left with left-overs and no inspiration. This isn’t usually a problem as I love a good left-over roast sandwich but sometimes, I am in the mood for something that required more thought than just slathering fresh bread with butter and stuffing some roast meat in between the slices before eating.
When I had some left-over chicken a while ago I decided to use it in a salad and paired it with little bits and pieces I found lying in the fridge/pantry. The end result was a salad with serious substance, flavour and oomph.
As the base I used a packet of Watercress, Rocket & Baby spinach and topped it with the shredded chicken, croutons I made from left-over sourdough, crumbled goat’s cheese and toasted pine nuts. I finished it off with a dressing made with some of the left-over gravy (not that this ever usually happens, the gravy is always first to disappear), a drizzle of honey and plenty of fresh lemon juice.
This is a great light supper idea for this in-between-season thing we have going on at the moment and a great way to get rid of all the little bits & pieces in your fridge and pantry. I didn’t give exact amounts for the recipe as you can add and leave out as you want.
Left-over Roast chicken salad with goat's cheese & sourdough croutons
for the sourdough croutons
- sourdough bread cubed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves skins left on
- salt & pepper to taste
for the dressing
- a few tablespoons of left-over gravy if you have it
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- olive oil
- salt to taste
for the salad
- salad leaves of your choice
- toasted pine nuts
- goat's cheese I used Chevin, crumbled
- To make the croutons, pre-heat the oven to 220°c and place all the ingredients in a bowl.
- Toss to combine and transfer to a roasting tray.
- Place the croutons in the oven and allow to brown on all sides before removing.
- To make the dressing, combine the gravy, honey & lemon juice and slowly drizzle in a few tablespoons olive oil whilst whisking. Season to taste and set aside.
- To assemble the salad, place the chicken, pine nuts, goat's cheese and croutons on the salad leaves and drizzle over the dressing.
- Serve immediately.