Roasted Caprese tomatoes with creamy mozzarella and fresh basil is a delicious and easy side dish recipe and perfect as a Summer appetizer served with crusty bread.
The idea for these luscious Caprese tomatoes came to me when I was left with an abundance of beautiful, ripe tomatoes after a shoot. I didn’t want to make them into a sauce because I loved the little stems attached and so decided to make whole roasted tomatoes. Because I’m such a fan of a good Caprese salad, I decided to halve the tomatoes and roasted them stuffed with a slice of mozzarella and fresh basil.
These caprese tomatoes are really moreish. The tomato flavor intensifies during roasting. Served on a bed of wild rocket, drizzled with a basil and garlic dressing, these make a stunning side to grilled meats or a fabulous vegetarian dish when served with crusty bread to mop up all the Balsamic flavored juices.
How to make roasted Caprese tomatoes
Halve ripe tomatoes and season generously with salt and pepper. Place a slice of mozzarella and a basil leaf on each of the bottom pieces of tomato. Drizzle with olive oil and Balsamic vinegar then place the tomato tops on top. Drizzle with olive oil and Balsamic then place in a hot oven and allow to roast for 20-25 minute until the tomatoes are soft and blistered and the cheese has melted.
Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving with basil dressing or with crust bread as a vegetarian appetizer.
- Melted Caprese sandwich
- Grilled tomato caprese salad
- Caprese stuffed chicken breasts
- Chicken Caprese salad
- Caprese mac and cheese
- Fresh tomato bruschetta
- Grilled steak with blistered tomatoes
- Cucumber, tomato and red onion salad
- Roasted tomato pesto pasta with ricotta
Roasted Caprese Tomatoes with Basil dressing
- 6 ripe tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Balsamic vinegar
- salt & pepper to taste
- 6 thin slices Mozzarella
- 6 basil leaves
for the dressing
- small handful fresh basil
- 1 garlic clove
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/350°F.
- Halve the tomatoes and place on a non-stick baking sheet, cut side up.
- Drizzle over the olive oil and Balsamic and season with salt and pepper then top the 4 bottom halves with the mozzarella and basil leaves. Add the tops of the tomatoes.
- Roast for 20-25 minutes until the skins are blistered and the tomatoes are soft.
- To make the dressing, blitz all the ingredients in a small food processor until the basil is finely chopped.
- Serve the tomatoes drizzled with the dressing with crusty bread.