Chicken Caprese salad
This simple Caprese salad with juicy pan-seared chicken and creamy avocado is your easy, healthy lunch or dinner dreams come true.
I don’t know about you but chicken salad is the one recipe that is consistently on my menu, week after week. Whether it’s for a speedy, healthy dinner or a make-ahead lunch, I have chicken salad in some shape or form at least once a week. And this Caprese salad with juicy chicken is the latest recipe to be made many, many times over the last few weeks.
Caprese salad is such a classic and an absolute favorite of mine. I love it so much, I’ve taken inspiration from it so many times on Simply Delicious. (Here are all the Caprese recipes I’ve done so far.) This Glorious salad is no different. To make things easier, I used Knorr’s new Balsamic & Pineapple vinaigrette as both the salad dressing and the marinade for the chicken. I often use ready-made salad dressings as marinades and not only does it cut down on prep time, it’s also a great way to inject some serious flavor into your protein of choice.
I pan-seared the chicken until the vinaigrette had caramelised and was beautifully golden brown on the outside but still juicy on the inside. The key is to take the chicken out of the pan right before it’s fully cooked. While it’s resting, it will continue to cook so this way you make sure that the chicken doesn’t dry out because let’s be honest, there’s nothing worse than an overcooked, chalky chicken breast. The Balsamic dressing also works perfectly with the classic flavours from the tomatoes, mozzarella and basil.
Served on top of a bed of fresh lettuce leaves of your choice and sliced avocado (because I can’t do a salad without adding avocado), this makes for the most delicious easy dinner or lunch. You could totally make it ahead too, just dress the salad right before serving. So easy, so healthy and so delicious.
Knorr is currently running an exciting competition on their Facebook page. To stand a chance of winning weekly prizes, create your own signature dressing using a Knorr salad dressing and post a picture on their page with the hasthag #KnorrSignatureSalads. Competition runs from 9 July-30 September, T’s & C’s apply.
Chicken Caprese salad
- 4 chicken breasts cut in half horizontally to result in 2 cutlets per breast
- 1 cup Knorr Balsamic and Pineapple vinaigrette
For the Caprese salad
- 4 cups cherry tomatoes halved
- 100 g Bocconcini mozzarella halved/quartered
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 8 cups lettuce
- 1-2 avocados sliced
- Knorr Balsamic and Pineapple vinaigrette to serve
- For the chicken, pour the Knorr Balsamic and Pineapple salad dressing over the chicken and allow to marinade for up to 30 minutes (but as little as 10 minutes will be fine).
- Heat a large, non-stick frying over medium-high heat and cook the chicken until golden brown on both sides and cooked through. Remove from the pan and allow to rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
- For the salad, combine the tomatoes, mozzarella and basil in a bowl and add 2 tablespoons dressing.
- To serve, spread the lettuce onto a large platter then top with the sliced chicken, tomatoes and mozzarella mixture and add the sliced avocado.
- Serve with extra dressing on the side.
This post is sponsored by Knorr. All word, images and opinions are my own.