An ice cream bombe with layers of ice cream, salted caramel, chocolate, nuts & cherries topped with even more chocolate is a perfect dessert for any occasion.
You can’t ask for an easier yet more impressive dessert. Pretty much every element is store-bought (you could even buy the salted caramel if you didn’t feel like making it yourself) and it’s just an assembly job. I do it a few days before the party so that it can set rock solid then I do the chocolate drizzle a few hours before, set it on it’s serving plate and pop it back into the freezer until I’m ready to serve.
- Vanilla ice cream.
- Salted caramel sauce.
- Maraschino cherries.
- Chocolate malt balls. Whoppers / Maltezers / Chuckles / Whispers. They have different names all over the world.
- Milk chocolate.
- Coconut oil.
How to make an ice cream bombe dessert
- Prepare the mould: Line a freezer-safe bowl with a few layers of plastic wrap. Set aside.
- Assemble the bombe: Soften the vanilla ice cream then scoop a third into the mould. Top with half of the cherries, nuts, salted caramel and chocolate. Smooth over another third of ice cream and top with the remaining cherries, nuts, caramel and chocolate. Top with the last of the ice cream and smooth. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing down slightly to make sure there are no air pockets. Place in the freezer and allow to freeze for at least 24 hours but up to 2 weeks.
- Decorate and serve: Remove the bombe from the freezer 20 minutes before serving. Melt the milk chocolate and coconut oil together. Remove the bombe from the bowl (the plastic should make this easy). Invert onto a serving platter and peel off the plastic. Pour over the chocolate, allow to harden then slice and serve.
What else can I add to this dessert?
- Fruit: Raspberries, blueberries, cherries, blackberries, sliced strawberries, figs, passion fruit.
- Nuts: Almonds, pecans, walnuts.
- Candy: Chopped candy bars, chocolate chips, M&M’s, etc.
- Mini marshmallows.
- Chunks of fudge.
Easy dessert recipes
Salted caramel and chocolate ice cream bombe
- 2 liters (4 pints) vanilla ice cream softened
- 1 cup salted caramel sauce
- 2 cups malted chocolate balls Whoppers/Maltesers/Chuckles, crushed
- 1 cup Maraschino cherries stems removed
- 1 cup toasted hazelnuts
for the chocolate topping
- 200 g (1 cup) milk chocolate
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Line a freezer-proof bowl with a double-layer of plastic wrap.
- Place a third of the softened ice cream into the bowl then top with half of the salted caramel, crushed chocolate, cherries and hazelnuts. Repeat the steps until all the ingredients have been used. You should be left with 3 layers of ice cream with two layers of filling.
- Cover the ice cream well then place in the fridge to set for 24 hours.
- To make the chocolate topping, melt together the coconut oil and chocolate and stir until smooth.
- Unmould the ice cream bombe onto a freezer-proof serving plate. Pour over the melted chocolate then place back in the fridge for at least 5 minutes but up to 2 hours.
- Slice and serve.