Layers of creamy cheesecake filling, tangy blueberry sauce and cookies make this easy blueberry lemon icebox cake the ultimate easy summer dessert.
What is an icebox cake?
Whether you call it an icebox cake, fridge cake or fridge tart, this no bake dessert is always a crowd pleaser. Layers of cookies or cake, creamy filling made with cream cheese or cream and often fruit is chilled in the fridge until set. It’s a great dessert to make ahead and serve to a crowd and will last for days in the fridge.
Full recipe + amounts can be found in the recipe card below.
- Cream cheese. This dessert is delicious made with creamed (smooth) cottage cheese too.
- Sweetened condensed milk.
- Fresh lemon juice.
- Blueberries. Fresh or frozen work well.
- Cookies. Any light colored cookies will work. Vanilla, coconut, wafers etc. Even slices of pound cake will be delicious.
- Fresh blueberries, for serving.
How to make icebox cake
- For the blueberry sauce: Cook blueberries with sugar in a small saucepan, mashing the berries with the back of a wooden spoon, until the sauce is thick and glossy. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Make the cream cheese filling: Whip room temperature cream cheese / smooth cottage cheese with Mascarpone and sweetened condensed milk. Add the lemon juice and whip until smooth and thick.
- Assemble: Line a loaf pan (you can use any dish, a loaf pan just makes for pretty presentation) with a few layers of plastic wrap. Layer the cookies, cream layer and berries, finishing with a layer of cookies (this will be the base once the icebox cake is served) then cover with more plastic and place in the fridge for at least 4 hours but ideally overnight. Carefully remove from the tin and peel off the plastic then slice and serve with fresh blueberries.
Can I make this dessert ahead?
It is the perfect dessert to make a few days ahead. You can assemble the icebox cake up to 2 days in advance before serving. Any leftovers can be kept covered in the fridge for another 2-3 days.
- Easy healthy blueberry muffins
- Classic baked cheesecake with easy berry sauce
- Blueberry breakfast yogurt cups
Easy blueberry lemon icebox cake
- 2 cups (500g) cream cheese / smooth cottage cheese
- 1 cup (250g) Mascarpone
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk (385g/13.5oz)
- ¼ cup (60ml) freshly squeezed lemon juice
For the blueberry sauce
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- ¼ cup sugar
- 200 g (7oz) cookies of your choice
- fresh blueberries for serving
- Line a standard loaf pan with 2 layers of plastic, ensuring the base and sides are well-covered.
- Place the blueberries and sugar in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer. Cook, mashing the blueberries with the back of a wooden spoon until the sauce is thick and glossy. Approximately 5-7 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, whip the cream/cottage cheese, mascarpone and condensed milk together until thick and smooth. Add the lemon juice and continue whipping until well-combined.
- To assemble the icebox cake, begin by adding a layer of the cream mixture then dollop on a few spoonfuls of blueberry mixture. Swirl the two together lightly with the back of a knife.
- Add a layer of cookies. Continue layering, finishing with a layer of cookies as this will be the base once the icebox cake is served.
- Cover tightly with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for at least 4 hours but ideally overnight.
- Remove from the fridge once you are ready to serve. Uncover then invert onto a serving platter. Gently remove the loaf pan and the plastic. Cover with blueberries and serve in slices.
Thanks for shateing
Mahie Bakery House
I have made this cake 2 times it is very tasty and soft I will make this one more time. I wait for your next recipes. Thank you for doing what you do
Baked this cake for my birthday and it was an absolute hit! So moist and tasty. Thank you for doing what you do