The best, easiest homemade burger sauce recipe made with ingredients you most likely already have in your pantry and fridge. The best condiment for any burger!
Table of Contents
I’m not going to say this is exactly the same as Big Mac sauce/Secret sauce but it’s pretty close. In my opinion, it’s the best burger sauce and makes a great dipping sauce for fries or chicken tenders. It’s also great used for Animal fries.
- Mayonnaise. I used a combination of Hellmann’s and Kewpie mayo but you can use any mayo you prefer.
- Tomato ketchup.
- Dijon mustard. Any yellow mustard will work.
- Finely diced onion.
- Finely diced pickles. Use any pickles you have. Even pickled jalapeños will be delicious. A teaspoon of pickle juice is also great if you want extra acidity in your sauce without the need for white vinegar. Pickle relish can be substituted.
- Optional: I like adding a dash of hot sauce for heat. A teaspoon of honey can also be added if you want extra sweetness.
How to make burger sauce
It’s as easy as mixing all your ingredients together in a small bowl. Make sure the onion and pickles are very finely diced (no-one wants a giant chunk of onion in their sauce). If you want it a little sweeter, add more mayonnaise or ketchup. More acidic? Add more mustard or pickle juice. You could season with salt and pepper if you prefer but I don’t find it necessary.
Can I make burger sauce in advance?
Absolutely! Burger sauce will last for at least a week in a sealed container in the fridge, even longer if you don’t add the onion and pickles. I make it and store it in a big jar to top hamburgers and use as a dip for French fries or potato wedges.
Easy sauce recipes
The best easy burger sauce
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2-3 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 tbsp finely diced pickles
- 1 tbsp finely diced onion
- 1-2 tsp hot sauce (optional)
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary.
- Serve on burgers or with fries for dipping.