This fresh berry Eton Mess with layers of homemade cream, chewy meringues and fresh berry sauce is a delicious and easy dessert recipe.
What is Eton Mess?
Eton Mess is a traditional British dessert. It consists of meringue, whipped cream and traditionally, strawberries, mixed together. It is said to have been invented at Eton College when a Labrador sat on a Pavlova during an Eton Ceremony. There are other speculations about how this dessert came to be but to be honest, I don’t care about any of them. All I know is this is one of the most delicious desserts you can make. And eat. The soft whipped cream, tart berries and crunchy meringue mixture is a joy to eat.
Full recipe + Amounts can be found in the recipe card below.
- Cream. Heavy or whipping cream.
- Icing / Confectioner’s sugar.
- Fresh berries. I used raspberies, blueberries and strawberries.
- Meringues/Meringue cookies/Meringue kisses. I use ready-made mini meringues but you can use my swiss meringue recipe and bake your own if you prefer.
How to make Eton Mess
- Make the berry sauce: Combine a cup of blueberries with a cup of raspberries and sifted icing/powdered sugar. Blend with an immersion blender (or in a food processor) until smooth then set aside.
- Whip the cream: Whip the cream (make sure it’s nice and cold) with icing sugar until soft peaks form. Rippled in a few tablespoons of the berry sauce.
- Assemble: Lightly break up the meringues and slice the strawberries (if using). Layer with the whipped cream, berry sauce and fresh berries in serving glasses.
Can you make Eton Mess in advance?
The berry sauce can be made up to 2 days in advance and kept covered in the fridge. The cream can be whipped up to an hour in advance and kept in the fridge, you might just need to re-whip it a little. The assembled dessert is best eaten straight away but can be kept in the fridge for up to an hour in advance.
Easy berry recipes
- Classic baked cheesecake with easy berry sauce
- Mixed berry muffins
- Easy blueberry lemon icebox cake
- Coconut strawberry crumble bars
Fresh Berry Eton Mess
- 2 cups berries (I used 1 cup rasberries and 1 cup blueberries)
- 4 tbsp icing / powdered / confectioner's sugar sifted
- 2 cups heavy / whipping cream
- 50 g (approximately 2 cups) meringues / meringue cookies / meringue kisses (I use ready-made meringues)
- Fresh strawberries / Raspberries / Blueberries for serving
- To make the berry sauce, combine the 2 cups berries with 2 tablespoons icing sugar. Blend with a food processor or immersion blender until smooth.
- Whip the cream with the remaining icing sugar until soft peaks form. Swirl in 3 tablespoons of the berry sauce.
- Layer the whipped cream and berry sauce with meringues that you have roughly broken up and fresh berries.
- Serve immediately.