This marinated cucumber salad could not be quicker or easier to throw together. Super simple, delicious & healthy, it’s perfect for casual summer feasting.
I’ve written about my mom and her love/hate relationship with cooking before. In my eyes, she was the ultimate express cook. She wanted to get in and out of the kitchen as quickly as she could because I honestly think she just hated the mundane “everyday-ness” of cooking for 3 kids and a husband. But even though she didn’t like cooking every day, there were times when she would whip up the most delicious meals and my brothers and I couldn’t get enough. She also had many fail-safe recipes that she would fall back on when inspiration was running low and this cucumber salad was one of those.
My mom’s cucumber salad wasn’t as chunky as my version. She grated the cucumber and onion which made the perfect accompaniment to many meals but I prefer a little more texture in my salads. The flavours are exactly the same though and I can honestly say there aren’t many salads that are as quick and easy to whip up while delivering such a flavour punch. The almost-pickled nature of this salad makes it perfect to serve with rich, fatty grilled meat and it’s completely delectable alongside a spicy curry (or my Indian-spiced lamb chops). And if you’re celebrating 4th of July today it is a great last-minute addition to your celebrations. Enjoy!
- 2 English cucumbers
- 1 red onion
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-2 teaspoons sugar/sweetener of your choice (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- pepper, to taste
- Peel the cucumbers then halve lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds then slice into 1cm slices.
- Peel and thinly slice the red onion and place in a bowl with the cucumber.
- Combine the vinegar, lemon juice, oil, sugar, salt and pepper in a bowl and whisk together.
- Pour the vinegar mixture over the cucumber and onion and mix well.
- Allow to marinated for at least 30 minutes but up to an hour-2 hours before serving.