Using Amarula Vanilla Spice with flavours of vanilla and ginger, this tiramisu is the perfect creamy dessert for the festive season.
When Amarula approached me to be a part of their new campaign I was delighted. Amarula is a South African classic. The perfect cream liqueur and they now have a Vanilla Spice variation. Subtly infused with vanilla and ginger, this is the perfect addition to your bar cart for Christmas. I was challenged to use this new flavour in a dessert and decided to make classic Tiramisu. With a South African twist.
The Amarula Vanilla Spice was used both in the cream and in the coffee soak for the lady fingers. I can say with total honesty that this is a showstopper. It’s the perfect dessert for the festive season as it can be made the day before (in fact, it’s even better the next day) and will be a hit with everyone you serve it to.
Freezing and making ahead
I wouldn’t suggest freezing this Amarula tiramisu as the cream layer will change texture once thawed. Tiramisu is a great make-ahead dessert and can be fully assembled 1-2 days in advance. Keep loosely covered with foil in the fridge until ready to serve.
What can be used instead of lady fingers?
Traditionally, Lady finger cookies/biscuits are used but you could substitute with vanilla cake sliced into fingers or even ginger cookies to add even more Christmas flavour.
This post is sponsored by Amarula. All words, images and opinions are my own.
For the Amarula cream
- 4 extra-large egg yolks
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 500 g (1lb) cold mascarpone
- 1/3 cup Amarula Vanilla Spice
For the cookie layer
- 400 g (14oz) lady fingers (biscuits/cookies)
- ¾ cup strong coffee cooled
- ¼ cup Amarula Vanilla Spice
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- Whip the egg yolks and sugar until white and voluminous.
- Add the cold mascarpone and Amarula and whip for 2-3 minutes until pale and thick.
- Combine the coffee and Amarula in a bowl.
- Dip the lady fingers into the coffee mixture (do not soak as this will result in a very wet Tiramisu) then place a single layer in small glasses or a serving dish of your choice.
- Top with some of the mascarpone mixture then repeat. Finish with a layer of the cream then dust with unsweetened cocoa powder.
- Place in the fridge and allow to chill for at least 4 hours, ideally overnight before serving.