This easy stuffed bread recipe with cheese and chicken is fantastic as an easy starter/appetizer and is perfect for effortless entertaining.
I love easy recipes like this for when I have guests coming over and need to serve something delicious but don’t want to spend ages in the kitchen. Simple starters or appetizers like this stuffed bread make entertaining a breeze. Yes, the bread dough requires a little work but you can easily use shop-bought dough if you didn’t feel like making it yourself.
The bread is stuffed with shredded chicken (you can poach and shred chicken breasts yourself or use a shop-bought rotisserie chicken), ALL of the grated mozzarella and PEPPADEW® Mild Sweet Piquanté Peppers. The peppers add pops up of tang and spice to the otherwise simple stuffing and make this bread completely irresistible.
PEPPADEW® is a proudly South African brand with a wide range of products including the universally-loved sweet piquanté peppers, alongside juicy jalapenos, traditional atchars, spicy relishes, pickled onions, pasta sauces and addictive Splash-On sauces. The piquanté peppers in particular are a serious favourite of mine. They are perfect on pizzas, nachos or tacos and no cheese board is complete without them.
So you think it’s called a peppadew?
Contrary to popular belief, there is no such thing as a “peppadew.” PEPPADEW® is a brand, and that famous little red fruit is a piquanté pepper. I was actually quite shocked when I heard that, because I’ve always called them peppadews! These unique Sweet piquanté Peppers are sweet and spicy with a fresh, distinctive crunch.
I teamed up with PEPPADEW® to bring you delicious recipes showing you the versatility of their delicious piquanté peppers and they are giving away SUCH exciting prizes as part of their #JustAddPeppadew campaign. Head over to their website by clicking here, and enter by telling us what dishes you think pair perfectly with PEPPADEW® Sweet Piquanté Peppers. You stand a chance of winning R5000 in cash, product hampers and awesome appliances for your kitchen! Entries close 16 November 2018 and the competition is only open to South African residents.
Cheesy chicken stuffed bread
For the bread dough
- 500 g bread flour
- 10 g dried yeast
- 300-400 ml warm water
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
For the filling
- 2 cups grated mozzarella
- ½ cup PEPPADEW® Sweet Mild Piquanté Peppers roughly chopped
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 2 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 2 tbsp basil leaves roughly torn
- salt and pepper to taste
- To make the bread, mix the sugar, yeast and water together.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, water and salt and knead until a rough dough forms.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface and knead for 5-7 minutes until the dough is smooth and soft. Place in an oiled bowl and cover with a tea towel. Allow to rise for 1 hour.
- When the dough has proofed, roll it out into a large rectangle on a floured surface.
- Sprinkle over the mozzarella cheese followed by the chicken and PEPPADEW® Sweet Mild Piquanté Peppers and mixed herbs. Season to taste.
- Roll the dough into a tight roll then place on a baking sheet topped with baking paper.
- Allow to proof for another 30 minutes while pre-heating the oven to 180ºC.
- Place the stuffed bread into the oven and allow to bake for 20-30 minutes until golden brown and cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before slicing and serving.
This post is sponsored by PEPPADEW®. All opinions and images are my own.