This easy cheesy vegetable bake is simple comfort food at its finest. It is the perfect vegetarian meal or decadent side dish.
Full recipe with amounts can be found in the recipe card below.
- Mushrooms. Any variety will work.
- Bell peppers. I prefer using green and red.
- Red onion.
- Olive oil.
- Cheese sauce.
- Mozzarella cheese.
- Parmesan cheese.
How to make cheesy vegetable bake
- Roast the vegetables: Slice the cauliflower into florets, halve the mushrooms (or slice if using large mushrooms), chop the peppers and onions. Place all the vegetables in a roasting dish and drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and toss to coat the vegetables in the seasoning. Place in a hot oven and roast for 30 minutes until golden brown.
- Combine with sauce and bake: Pour the cheese sauce over the vegetables, top with the mozzarella and Parmesan then place back in the oven and bake until bubbling and golden on top. Remove from the oven, allow to rest for 5 minutes then serve.
Can I make this ahead?
Yes! The vegetables can be roasted and combined with the sauce then refrigerated for up to 3 days before baking with the cheese. You could freeze the bake too (unbaked). Bake from frozen until hot throughout.
What to serve with vegetable bake
This a great side dish for roast meats but makes a great vegetarian dinner served with a simple salad.
Easy vegetarian recipes
Cheesy vegetable bake
- 4 cups cauliflower florets approximately 2 small-medium heads of cauliflower
- 1 punnet 250g mushrooms, quartered
- 1 large red pepper seeded and chopped into bite-size chunks
- 1 large yellow pepper same as red pepper
- 1 red onion peeled and chopped into chunks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil I used basil flavored
- large pinch salt
- black pepper to taste
- 2 cups cheese sauce
- 1 cup grated mozzarella for topping
- grated parmesan optional
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°c.
- Place all the vegetables on a baking sheet then drizzle with the oil, season with salt and pepper and toss to coat.
- Place in the oven and allow to roast for 30 minutes until golden brown and starting to caramelise.
- Transfer the roasted vegetables to a suitable baking dish and pour over the cheese sauce.
- Add the mozzarella and parmesan then place back in the oven for 20 minutes or until the cheese has melted and is golden brown.
- Remove and allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.