I know. These chicken wings don’t look like anything you would drool over. But that’s kind of the point with Halloween, right? There’s something quite charming about food that’s made to gross you out. Like making red pepper hummus and calling it “Brain Puree” and serving it with crudite or simply labelling Prosciutto “Cured Epidermis” (Clever Martha Stewart!).
I’ve had to convince my family and friends to try these and once they did, they loved them. The sweet, Asian-inspired marinade adds lovely flavour and who doesn’t love a sticky wing?
Chicken (Bat) Wings for HalloweenPrint Pin Rate
for the marinade
- 1 cup honey
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 cm fresh ginger finely grated
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- few drops black gel food colouring
- 16 chicken wings
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°c and set a roasting rack over a roasting tray.
- Combine all the marinade ingredients and pour over the chicken wings. Allow to marinade for 15 minutes then place the wings on the roasting rack. Cover generously with the marinade.
- Place the wings in the oven and allow to roast for 10 minutes.
- Baste with with the marinade (at the bottom of the roasting tin) then place back in the oven and roast for another 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before serving.