Silky smooth chocolate custard filling, inside a buttery homemade crust makes this chocolate cream pie the perfect, indulgent dessert.
Tips for making the perfect chocolate cream pie
- A filling that is intensely chocolatey and creamy yet set is the goal. To achieve that I like using good quality cocoa powder for flavor and egg yolks, cornstarch (cornflour) and regular flour to give the custard some stability.
- Make sure to temper the egg yolks whisked with the flours by pour a little bit of the hot milk mixture over while whisking. This will prevent the egg yolks from scrambling in the custard.
- Cook the custard over medium heat, whisking continuously, until it is thick and glossy. Immediately pass through a fine mesh sieve into a clean bowl.
- Pour the custard into the blind baked pie crust. Because the pie doesn’t get baked after the custard is added, it’s important to make sure the crust is completely dry and crisp before pouring the custard in. Spray a piece of parchment paper with cooking spray then press onto the surface of the custard to prevent a skin from forming.
- Allow the pie to set in the fridge for at least 4 hours but ideally overnight.
- Top with softly whipped cream and chocolate shavings just before serving.
Freezing and making ahead
- Freezing: The pastry can be made up to 3 months in advance and kept in the freezer. I wouldn’t recommend freezing the finished pie as the custard’s texture will change once thawed.
- Making ahead: Make the pastry 2-3 days in advance and keep it in the fridge. The blind baked crust can also be kept covered at room temperature for a day before filling. The filled pie can be kept covered in the fridge for up to 2 days before serving.
Chocolate Cream Pie
for the crust
for the filling
- 2½ cups milk
- ½ cup whipping/heavy cream whipped
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon good quality instant coffee
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp corn starch (corn flour)
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp flour
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 cups cream
- ½ cup icing/powdered sugar
- chocolate shavings
- Make the pastry according to instructions. Blind bake until golden and crisp in a 180°C/350°F oven then remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- To make the filling, combine the milk, cream, sugar, vanilla and coffee in a saucepan and bring to boiling point.
- In a separate bowl, combine the corn starch flour, cocoa powder, egg yolks and salt and mix well to form a smooth paste.
- When the milk has reached boiling point, remove from the heat.
- Whisk a ladle full of the hot milk into the corn starch mixture to temper the eggs.
- Pour the liquid back into the saucepan and over low-medium heat, whisk continuously until the filling is thick and glossy.
- Pour the mixture through a sieve to make sure there is no lumps. Whisk in the butter and pour the smooth filling into the prepared pie case.
- Spray a piece of parchment paper with cooking spray then press onto the surface of the custard to prevent a skin from forming.
- Allow to set in the fridge for at least 4 hours but ideally overnight.
- When you are ready to serve, whip the cream with the icing sugar and swirl onto the pie. Top with chocolate shavings and serve.