If you’re looking for a quick and easy dinner recipe, look no further. This crunchy chicken schnitzel is so crisp and juicy and delicious served with creamy, spicy jalapeño slaw.
I always have the ingredients for this chicken schnitzel recipe in my pantry/freezer. Chicken breasts are a great, affordable source of protein. They’re also versatile so I always have a couple of packs of boneless, skinless chicken breasts in the freezer. Panko breadcrumbs are a staple for me. They create the crispiest, most delicious coating on anything that needs to be a breaded. The slaw is an optional side dish but so delicious with the golden chicken schnitzel.
- Chicken. Boneless, skinless chicken breasts.
- Panko bread crumbs.
- Garlic powder.
- Salt and pepper.
For the jalapeño slaw
- Cabbage. I used baby cabbage but any cabbage will work.
- Fresh coriander/cilantro.
- Maple syrup.
- Fresh lemon juice.
- Salt and pepper.
How to make chicken schnitzel with jalapeño slaw
- Bread the chicken: Slice the chicken in half, horizontally, creating two thin chicken cutlets. Cover with parchment paper then gently flatten the chicken to ½cm thickness with a rolling pin or meat mallet. Set up your dredge stating. Place the flour, eggs and breadcrumbs in three shallow bowls. Season the flour and breadcrumbs with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Beat eggs with a fork. Dip each piece of chicken first in the flour, shaking off the excess, then in the beaten eggs and finally in the breadcrumbs. You can repeat the egg and breadcrumb steps for a thicker coating.
- Fry the chicken: Heat neutral cooking oil like Canola oil in a large skillet or pan set over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the chicken and cook for 3-4 minutes per side until golden brown and crisp on both sides. Remove from the pan and allow to drain on paper towels.
- Make the jalapeño slaw: Thinly slice the cabbage and carrots and place in a large bowl. Finely chop the jalapeños then add to the salad along with the fresh coriander/cilantro. Mix together the mayonnaise, maple syrup, lemon juice, salt and pepper then pour over the salad. Toss to coat.
- Serve: Serve the chicken schnitzel with the slaw and extra lemon wedges for squeezing.
Crispy chicken recipes
- Crispy chicken basil pasta
- Sticky crispy sesame chicken with noodles
- Crispy chicken sandwich with spicy slaw
Crispy Chicken Schnitzel
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1½ cups flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 4 eggs
- 2½ cups Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup oil
For the slaw
- 4 baby cabbage (or 1 medium-size cabbage), shredded
- 2 carrots peeled and thinly sliced
- 1-2 jalapeño de-seeded and finely chopped
- 1 cup fresh coriander/cilantro leaves
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1-2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2-3 tsp lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Slice the chicken in half, horizontally, creating two thin chicken cutlets.
- Place chicken in between two sheets of parchment paper.
- Flatten with a meat mallet or rolling pin.
- Place flour, salt, a pinch of pepper and half teaspoon garlic powder into a wide bowl suitable for dipping the chicken in. Whisk eggs into a second bowl and combine the breadcrumbs, salt, pepper and remaining garlic powder into another.
- Coat the chicken first in the flour, then in the beaten eggs and finally in the seasoned breadcrumbs.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large pan or skillet over medium high heat.
- Carefully lay the chicken into the hot oil and allow to cook for 3-4 minutes per side until golden brown and crisp.
- Remove the cooked schnitzel from the pan and allow to drain on a paper towel lined plate.
- Thinly slice the cabbage and carrots and place in a large bowl. Finely chop the jalapeños then add to the salad along with the fresh coriander/cilantro.
- Mix together the mayonnaise, maple syrup, lemon juice, salt and pepper then pour over the salad. Toss to coat.
- Serve the chicken schnitzel with the slaw and extra lemon wedges for squeezing.