Easy baked sticky chicken wings with a delicious sweet apricot glaze is the perfect game day snack and easy family recipe.
Sticky chicken wings!! Sorry for shouting but I just LOVE chicken wings. They are the perfect, hand-held snack and are so versatile. Whether they are fried until crispy or baked in a sticky glaze, chicken wings are a crowd favorite for a reason.
This recipe for baked sticky chicken wings is inspired by my sticky apricot chicken . My mom used to make apricot chicken all the time when I was a child and I just love the nostalgic flavor and how sticky the apricot jam/preserves makes the sauce. I amped up that stickiness for these chicken wings because there’s nothing better than having to lick your fingers after eating a chicken wing, right?!
How do you make sticky chicken wings?
Start by making the apricot glaze. Combine apricot preserves, a splash of soy sauce, lemon juice, brown sugar and water in a saucepan. Simmer until the sugar has dissolved and the glaze has thickened slightly and is glossy and sticky. I also add red pepper flakes/chilli flakes because I love anything spicy but you can definitely leave them out if you or your guests don’t like spicy food.
If your chicken wings are whole, simply split them into two or ask your butcher to do it for you. Place the chicken wings in a bowl and season with salt then pour over half of the glaze. Stir to coat then transfer the wings to a baking sheet. Bake in a hot oven, basting with the glaze every 15 minutes, until the wings are caramelized, glossy, sticky and cooked through. Serve with the remaining glaze for dipping.
How long do chicken wings take to cook?
In a 200ºC/400ºF oven, chicken wings should bake for around 30-40 minutes. You want them to be fully cooked through to the bone and give the glaze time to caramelize and create a super sticky exterior.
What is good with chicken wings?
Chicken wings are the perfect easy snack and make a great family meal when served with any of these side dishes:
- Summer grilled corn salad
- Creamy condensed milk potato salad
- Baked garlic potato wedges
- Crispy salt and pepper smashed potatoes
- Easy creamy curried macaroni salad
Chicken wing recipes:
- Asian baked chicken wings
- Sriracha-honey wings
- Hot & sticky chicken wings with ranch dressing
- Korean fried chicken wings
Baked apricot sticky chicken wings
- 1 cup apricot preserves/jam
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- pinch of pepper flakes optional
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- ½ cup water
- salt to taste
For the chicken wings
- 1 kg/2lbs chicken wings split
- salt to taste
- Pre-heat the oven to 200ºC/390ºF.
- Combine all the glaze ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Cook until the sugar has dissolved and the glaze has reduced slightly. Remove from the heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Place the chicken wings in a large bowl then season with salt.
- Pour over half of the glaze and stir to coat the chicken wings well.
- Transfer the chicken wings to a rimmed baking sheet, leaving some space around the wings to ensure they caramelize well. Use two sheets if necessary.
- Place in the oven and allow to bake for 30-40 minutes, basting with the glaze every 15 minutes, until the chicken wings are cooked through, sticky and caramelized.
- Remove from the oven and serve with the remaining glaze for dipping.