This easy Chicken Adobo is a delicious Filipino recipe flavored with black pepper, bay leaves and green chillies. The perfect easy dinner served with rice.
What is Filipino Chicken Adobo?
Chicken Adobo is a delicious recipe where chicken is braised in a marinade made of soy sauce, black pepper, bay leaves and vinegar. This easy version takes a few shortcuts but delivers the same punchy flavor and super tender braised chicken.
How to make Chicken Adobo
Season bone-in skin on chicken thighs generously on both sides with salt and black pepper. Brown the chicken in a large, deep skillet or frying pan until deep golden brown. Remove from the pan and set aside. Combine the vinegar, soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, black pepper, bay leaves and chillies then pour into the pan. Bring to a simmer. Add the chicken back into the pot, skin-side up. Turn down the heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes, with the lid ajar, until the chicken is cooked through and very tender. When the chicken is cooked, remove the lid and turn up the heat. Baste the chicken with the braising liquid until the chicken is glazed. Serve the chicken with rice and cooked greens like broccoli, bok choy or spinach.
Chicken thigh recipes
Easy Chicken Adobo
- 8 chicken thighs bone-in, skin on
- ½ cup white vinegar
- 3/4 cup soy sauce (Use Tamari as a gluten free substitute)
- 4 garlic cloves crushed
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 2 green chillies thinly sliced
- 4 bay leaves
- Season chicken generously on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Brown chicken well in a tablespoon of oil in a large skillet or deep frying pan. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Combine the vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, garlic, black pepper, bay leaves and chillies and pour into the pan. Bring to a simmer.
- Add the chicken, skin-side up, and simmer with the lid ajar for 20-30 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked and tender.
- Remove the lid and turn up the heat. Allow the sauce to reduce, while glazing the chicken. Cook until the sauce has thickened and the chicken is glossy.
- Serve the chicken with steamed rice and greens.