This creamy chicken pot pie soup recipe is a great way to feed a crowd with affordable chicken, frozen vegetables and other pantry staples.
How to make chicken pot pie soup
- Chicken: I used a whole chicken because I wanted to make stock with the bones once I had shredded the meat. You could absolutely use any chicken you have though. Chicken breasts, chicken pieces, anything will work. The cooking time will just need to be adjusted. If you’re using chicken breasts, I would use chicken stock powder/cube/concentrate as they won’t be giving much flavor to the base.
- Vegetables: Classically you would use onions, celery, carrots and peas for chicken pot pie soup but anything goes. I like adding mushrooms and green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, kale, cubes of potato and zucchini will all be delicious.
- Aromatics: Garlic, dried or fresh herbs (I like thyme, oregano or parsley), salt and pepper.
- Flour: I like using flour to thicken the soup but this is optional.
- Stock: You can either follow the recipe below and make the stock yourself or use stock power/cubes/concentrate (or stock/broth you have previously made) and skip the first few steps.
- Cream/milk: To add creaminess, also optional.
Instructions for making soup: (the full recipe with amounts can be found in the recipe card below.)
- Make the stock: Place the chicken in a large stock pot then add two halved onions, a few carrots, any fresh herbs you have (parsley/rosemary/thyme/sage/bay leaves), peppercorns and salt. Top with water then bring to a simmer. Allow to cook for an hour until the chicken is cooked through. Remove the chicken then shred the meat and set aside. At this stage you can strain the stock and use immediately or add the bones back into the stock, add more water and cook for a few more hours until the bones are soft. Freeze the stock in freezer bags/jars for later use.
- Make the soup: Melt a few tablespoons of butter/oil in a large pot then add onion, garlic, celery and carrots. Cook for a few minutes until the vegetables are fragrant and golden brown. Add any other vegetables you are using and cook for a few minutes. Add flour and stir to coat the vegetables then add the stock. Simmer for 10 minutes until the vegetables are cooked. Add the shredded chicken and cream and cook for another 5 minutes until the soup is hot and bubbling. Adjust seasoning and serve.
Freezing and making ahead
- Freezing: Allow the cooked soup to cool completely then transfer to suitable containers for freezing. Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw completely then transfer to a saucepan and heat gently until the soup is simmering before serving.
- Make ahead: Cooked soup can be kept covered in the fridge for up to 3 days.
What to serve with chicken pot pie soup
Chicken soup recipes
- Easy healthy chicken broccoli soup
- Chicken curry soup
- Creamy broccoli chicken gnocchi soup
- Easy chicken noodle soup recipe
- Mexican chicken soup with charred baby corn
Chicken pot pie soup
For the stock
- 1 whole chicken
- 2 onions halved
- 3 carrots roughly chopped
- 2 celery stalks roughly chopped
- handful fresh herbs (thyme, rosemary, parsley, sage, bay leaf)
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp peppercorns
- 2 tsp salt
- water to cover
for the soup
- 2 tbsp butter/oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 carrots peeled and finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk finely chopped
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 2 cups vegetables of your choice (optional)
- 3 garlic cloves crushed/minced
- 2 tsp dried herbs of your choice (oregano, thyme, Italian seasoning)
- 2 tbsp flour
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy/whipping cream
- 1-2 tsp lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- To make the stock, combine all the ingredients in a large stock pot and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook for an hour until the chicken is fall-apart tender. Remove the chicken then shred the meat and set aside. At this stage you can strain the stock and use or return the bones to the pot, add more water and cook for a few more hours to make a stronger, more intense stock.
- To make the soup, melt the butter/oil in a large pot and add the vegetables (except for the peas). Cook until the vegetables start to soften and turn golden brown. Add the garlic and herbs.
- Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and stir to combine. Pour in the stock. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes until the vegetables are cooked through.
- Pour in the cream and add the shredded chicken and peas. Cook for 5 minutes until the soup is hot and bubbling.
- Season with lemon juice, salt and pepper then serve.