Potato salad made with boiled new potatoes and sour cream is the easiest, delicious side dish recipe and perfect for summer get togethers.
Potatoes, sour cream and chives. Need I say more? This simple potato salad recipe is my go-to for days when I need a side dish that doesn’t take much time or effort and can be made with ingredients I already have in the house. I love using new or baby potatoes as they cook so quickly and they don’t need to be peeled. The dressing consists of sour cream (you can add a splash of milk or water to thin out if you prefer), garlic powder, chopped chives, salt and pepper. 6 ingredients to the creamiest of potato salads? Yes please!
Table of Contents
Can you make potato salad the day before?
Yes, this potato salad can be made the day before. Simply make the salad then allow to cool completely before covering and refrigerating. Remove from the fridge an hour before serving.
Summer side dish recipes
- Easy creamy curried macaroni salad
- Creamy condensed milk potato salad
- Sun-dried tomato pesto pasta salad
- Pea and feta quinoa salad
- Mexican street corn macaroni salad
- Easy spicy garlic baked potato wedges
- Easy side salad with lemon dressing
Easy sour cream potato salad
- 1 kg / 2lbs new potatoes / baby potatoes
- 1 cup (250ml) sour cream
- 1-2 tbsp milk/water (optional)
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1-2 tsp salt
- 1-2 tsp black pepper
- ½ cup fresh chives finely chopped
- Halve the baby potatoes and cook in a large pot of salted, boiling water until cooked. (The potatoes are cooked when a knife's tip can easily be inserted.)
- Drain the potatoes and allow to cool slightly.
- To make the dressing, mix the sour cream and seasoning and thin out with a little milk or water if necessary.
- Pour the dressing over the cooked potatoes and mix. (Adding the dressing to the potatoes while they are still warm will allow the potatoes to absorb the dressing.)
- Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary then allow to cool completely before serving.