This syrup-soaked clementine cake is an easy, one-bowl recipe that is just the perfect way to use clementines when they’re in season.
It’s the kind of cake that is fantastic to have on your counter during the festive season to serve with a cup of coffee to guests. The clementine syrup soaks into the cake making this cake completely irresistible.
How to make clementine cake
- Dry ingredients: Sift the flour, baking powder, salt and caster sugar into a large mixing bowl.
- Wet ingredients: Add the yogurt, eggs, vanilla extract, canola oil and clementine zest and mix until just combined. The yogurt and oil guarantee an incredibly soft, moist cake once baked.
- Bake: Pour the batter into a lined loaf pan then place in a preheated oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until a skewers inserted comes out clean.
- Syrup: Combine the clementine juice, sugar and lemon juice in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer. Cook until the syrup is the same consistency as maple syrup. Pour the syrup over the cake as it comes out of the oven. Allow the cake to cool completely before slicing and serving.
Freezing and making ahead
- Freezing: The baked and cooled cake can be frozen for up to 3 months. Wrap well with plastic wrap and foil and place in the freezer. Thaw completely before serving.
- Make ahead: This cake will last for 3-4 days if kept covered at room temperature. Because this cake is not made with butter, you can keep it in the fridge as well and it won’t firm up.
Easy cake recipes
- Sour cream lemon cake
- Easy dulce de leche chocolate cake
- Toasted coconut cupcakes
- Pumpkin sheet cake with Chantilly cream
- 2 cups flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 3 extra-large eggs
- ½ cup canola oil
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- zest of 1 clementine
For the syrup
- 1 cup clementine juice
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F. Grease and line a standard loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Sift all the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and place in the oven.
- Allow to bake for 25-30 minutes or until a skewers inserted comes out clean.
- While the cake is baking, combine the syrup ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer. Cook until the syrup is the consistency of maple syrup.
- When the cake comes out of the oven, pour the syrup over and allow to cool completely.
- Slice and serve.