Marinated in Tandoori spices and yogurt before grilled until golden, these juicy grilled chicken wings are going to be a guaranteed crowd favorite.
Amounts + full recipe can be found in the recipe card below.
- Chicken wings.
- Plain yogurt.
- Garam masala.
- Chilli powder.
- Lemon juice.
- Salt + black pepper.
How to grill chicken wings
- Marinate the chicken wings: Combine the yogurt, garlic, ginger, lemon and spices in a bowl then add the chicken wings. I like to split the chicken wings into the drumette and the flat/wingette. I prefer to keep the tips on the flat/wingette because I love how crispy they are once grilled. Stir to coat the chicken wings in the marinade and allow to marinade for at least 30 minutes or up to 24 hours covered in the fridge.
- Grill: Cook the chicken wings on a preheated grill (medium-high heat with a cool zone is best with chicken) and cook, turning regularly until the chicken wings are caramelized, golden brown and cooked through. Remove from the grill, allow to rest for 5 minutes then serve with lime wedges and fresh cilantro/coriander.
How long to grill chicken wings
Chicken wings take around 20-25 minutes to grill. Once the grill is preheated, add the chicken wings then turn the burners down to medium-high. If cooking over coals, make sure to have a cooler zone to move chicken wings to if they caramelize too quickly. The chicken wings are cooked when the flesh is opaque white all the way to the bone or they register 73ºC/165ºF on a meat thermometer.
Making ahead and storing
Chicken wings can be marinated up to 24 hours before grilling. Cooked chicken wings can be kept in the fridge for up to 2 days and reheated before serving.
What to serve with grilled chicken wings
Chicken wing recipes
Tandoori grilled chicken wings
- 1 kg (2lb) Chicken wings Split into drumettes and flats
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 3 garlic cloves crushed
- 2 tsp crushed ginger
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Garam Masala
- 2 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Fresh lime wedges For serving
- Fresh cilantro/coriander for serving
- Combine all the marinade ingredients together and add the chicken wings.
- Allow to marinade for at least 30 minutes up to 24 hours covered in the fridge.
- Preheat the grill for 15 minutes. I like to have a cooler zone to move the wings to if they caramelize too quickly.
- Place the chicken wings on the grill and cook for 20-25 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and caramelized all over.
- Remove from the grill and allow to rest for at least 5 minutes.
- Serve with lime wedges and fresh cilantro/coriander.