This easy flatbread recipe uses no yeast and is soft and delicious. Perfect served with shawarma and curries or served with hummus as a snack.
How to make flatbread
Combine flour, baking powder, salt and garlic powder (optional) then stir in plain yogurt, vegetable oil and milk. The yogurt and milk will keep the flatbread soft and pliable once cooked. Knead into a smooth dough then wrap and allow to rest for 30 minutes. This allows the gluten in the flour to relax and will make rolling out the dough easier. Break tennis-ball sized balls off of the dough and roll into thin rounds on a floured surface. Cook in a hot pan until the dough starts to bubble then flip and cook for another minute on the other side. Brush with melted butter (optional) and keep warm until ready to serve.
What’s the difference between pita bread and flatbread?
Flatbread is a thin, flat bread (usually unleavened) cooked on a hot cooking surface/pan until charred and blistered. Pita bread is soft, leavened bread that often has a pocket which can be stuffed with grilled meat and vegetables.
What to serve with flatbread
- Chicken shawarma
- Cauliflower korma curry
- Chicken fajita skewers
- Easy weeknight chicken curry
- Easy Greek Tzatziki
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- ½ cup canola/vegetable oil
- ¾-1 cup milk
- Mix together the dry ingredients for the flatbread then add the yogurt and oil. Add the milk, a little at a time, and mix until a rough dough starts to form. You might not need all the milk.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead until it just comes together in a smooth ball. Cover in plastic wrap and allow to rest at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- roll tennis-sized balls of dough out onto a floured surface (to around ½cm thick) and cook in a hot pan until golden and bubbling then flip and cook for another minute or two on the other side.
- Remove from the pan, brush with melted butter (optional) and keep wrapped in foil until ready to serve.
- To re-heat the flatbread keep wrapped in foil and heat in the oven for 10-15 minutes until heated through.