This stir fry sauce recipe is delicious and so easy to make. A handful of pantry staples along with some fridge essentials. Quick and easy dinner, sorted!
How to make stir fry sauce
- Soy sauce. Tamari or Coconut Aminos can be substituted.
- Rice vinegar. White wine vinegar, distilled vinegar and lemon juice can be used instead.
- Hoisin sauce. I like the sweetness of Hoisin but Oyster sauce or Plum sauce can also be used. Alternatively add more honey or sugar.
- Chilli flakes/Red pepper flakes. Optional but adds a nice bit of heat.
- Lemon juice. Lime juice can also be used. Alternatively, just use more vinegar.
- Corn starch. The cornstarch thickens the sauce once cooked but this is completely optional.
- Honey/sugar. Balances the soy sauce. Optional but can be substituted with non-nutritive sweetener if preferred.
- Garlic. Garlic powder/granules can be subsituted.
- Ginger. Ground ginger can be substituted.
- Spring onion/Green onion. Optional
- Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix well.
- Make the stir fry by frying your selection of vegetables and protein in a hot wok. Once the stir fry is almost cooked through, pour in the stir fry sauce and allow to cook, stirring, until the sauce is thick and glossy and clings to the stir fry ingredients.
Meal prep and freezing instructions
- Meal prep: The sauce can be made up to a week in advance (two weeks if you leave out the spring onions) and kept in a sealed jar in the fridge.
- Freezing: Because the sauce comes together so easily I wouldn’t suggest freezing.
How to use stir fry sauce
- Easy rotisserie chicken fried rice
- Easy vegetable chow mein
- Vegetable fried rice
- Easy 20-minute chicken stir fry
Easy sauce recipes
The best easy stir fry sauce
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- ¼ cup hoisin sauce
- 1 tsp chilli flakes/red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp corn starch / cornflour
- 2 tsp honey/sugar
- 1 tsp garlic
- ½ tsp ginger
- ¼ cup spring onion/green onions finely chopped
- Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix until well combined.
- Pour over stir fry and cook, stirring, for 3-5 minutes until the sauce is thick and glossy, clinging to the stir fry ingredients.