Aromatic, quick and easy fried rice filled with fresh vegetables is a substantial yet light recipe for dinner and makes for great leftovers.
You know those nights you have zero energy or inspiration to cook but you/your family needs to eat? Yep, I’ve been having a few of those lately. That is exactly how this quick and easy vegetable fried rice came about. I was standing in front of a fridge full of vegetables and knew that I couldn’t stand to be in the kitchen for longer than 20 minutes. Luckily for me, we also had a substantial amount of leftover rice from the previous day and I decided to knock together a pan-full of quick, healthy fried rice.
The beauty of recipes like these is that they change every time you make them. Today you have an abundance of fresh vegetables, tomorrow you have only a few and need to add a few more aromatics to amp up the flavour. Because I wasn’t going to add any meat to my recipe, I wanted to enhance the flavour with ginger, garlic and some of my other favourites, soy sauce, fish sauce and a little yuzu. Yuzu isn’t exactly the most easy to come by ingredient out there so lemon or lime juice will both work perfectly too (and in fact, that is what I most often use).
These aromatics paired with the not-small-amount of vegetables I added, resulted in a really hearty yet light dinner. I now make sure I cook double the amount of rice we would need for a meal just so I can make this fried rice the following day. It’s really that good.
What vegetables are in fried rice
Vegetarian dinner recipes
- Creamed spinach stuffed butternut squash
- Vegetarian lasagna with basil pesto and ricotta
- Creamy vegetable pot pie
- Eggplant involtini
Quick and easy vegetable fried rice
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 carrots finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves thinly sliced
- 5 cm piece fresh ginger finely grated
- 1 red bell pepper cubed
- 1 yellow bell pepper cubed
- 250 g (½lb) mushrooms sliced
- 2 cups tenderstem broccoli stems sliced
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 4 cups cooked rice
- 1-2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 2-3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1-2 tablespoons yuzu/lemon/lime juice
- fresh coriander and chillies to serve (optional)
- Heat a splash of vegetable oil in a hot wok.
- Fry the onion and carrot until soft then add the ginger and garlic.
- Add the remaining vegetables and stir-fry for 5 minutes until cooked but still tender-crisp.
- Add the rice and sauces and stir-fry for another 2-3 minutes.
- Serve immediately.