Table of Contents
- 0.1 This 20-minute chicken stir fry with easy stir fry sauce is the ultimate fast weeknight meal. Add noodles or rice, or serve as is for a gluten-free meal.
- 1 How to make easy stir-fry sauce
- 2 Easy chicken stir fry
This 20-minute chicken stir fry with easy stir fry sauce is the ultimate fast weeknight meal. Add noodles or rice, or serve as is for a gluten-free meal.
I have come to rely quite heavily on this easy, delicious chicken stir fry with easy stir fry sauce. It’s the kind of meal that takes no more than 20 minutes (especially if you use quick-cooking noodles) and I know for a fact that my entire family will happily eat an entire plate full.
It’s also the kind of recipe that is fantastic for cleaning out the fridge. I add any and all vegetables that are looking a little sad to our weekly stir fry nights and not only is it added flavor and goodness, I’m also wasting less. When I don’t have noodles I can easily substitute sticky jasmine rice (a constant in my pantry) and we often have it carb-free with a generous side of steamed bok choy seasoned with soy sauce. So delicious!
How to make easy stir-fry sauce
The sauce I used for this chicken stir fry is the one I fall back on all the time. It uses simple ingredients easily found at most supermarkets and adds all the flavor to this easy meal.
Soy sauce, ginger, garlic, sesame oil, a little red chilli and hoisin sauce thickened with a little corn starch adds saucy deliciousness to an otherwise simple meal and you can play with the flavors and add whatever you want. Oyster sauce, fish sauce, honey, teriyaki sauce, etc. would all make delicious additions.
The same goes for the vegetables used. I used a combination of cabbage, peppers, baby corn, carrots, sliced greens and spring onions but you could add peas, sliced sugar snaps, green beans, broccoli, zucchini or kale. Really, anything goes. Just be sure to make a little extra because there’s nothing better than chicken stir fry leftovers the following day.
Easy chicken stir fry
- 4 chicken breasts thinly sliced
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 2 red bell peppers thinly sliced
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 2 cups baby corn halved
- 2 cups greens, bok choy/spinach/kale chopped
- 1 cup spring/green onions finely chopped
- 500 g egg noodles cooked to package instructions
Easy stir fry sauce
- ½ cup soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 2 tsp ginger crushed
- 3 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp corn flour mixed with 2 tbsp water to make a slurry
- Add a splash of vegetable oil to a pre-heated wok then fry the chicken in batches until golden brown. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the vegetables, stir-frying until just cooked and starting to color then add the chicken, cooked noodles and stir-fry sauce back into the wok.
- Stir-fry until the vegetables and chicken are coated in the sauce and the sauce is starting to thicken.
- Season to taste (add more soy/hoisin or lemon if necessary) and serve.