Greek salad with crumbed Feta cheese
Everyone loves Greek salad, right? Right! And if they don’t, well they’re wrong! I mean, what’s not to love? Crisp cucumber, sweet tomatoes, salty olives and creamy Feta cheese. So simple and so perfect. But that’s the case with most of the foods I love, the simpler the better. The key to preparing simple food that knocks your guests’ socks off is to get the very best ingredients you can afford.
Fresh cucumber and juicy tomatoes are a given and relatively easy to get your hands on but the real stars of a Greek salad are the olives and Feta cheese. I would recommend you buying the very best Kalamata olives you can get your hands on. The difference is immense and you will be rewarded with juicy, well-flavoured olives which will compliment your salad. Then the Feta cheese. Oh, how I love Feta. With its intense saltiness giving way to a creamy after taste. I could eat bucket loads. In this recipe I didn’t want to simply serve the Feta as I usually would, as is, and decided to give it a crumb coating. After all, the Festive season is upon us and this is not the time to take the easy route. Not that this is difficult, in any way, but the extra effort is so worth it. The finished salad is a show-stopper but yet simple enough to be a good accompaniment to braaied meat or a roast chicken.
- 250g Greek feta cheese
- 250ml (1 cup) flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 packets Knorr Crispy & Tasty Chicken Coating
- 1 litre oil, for frying
- 1 packet salad leaves of your choice
- 250ml (1 cup) cherry tomatoes
- 125ml (? cup) Calamata olives
- 1 red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- half an English cucumber, peeled and roughly chopped
- 125ml (? cup) olive oil
- 30ml (2 Tbsp) lemon juice
- 5ml (1 tsp) dried origanum
- salt and pepper to taste
- To make the crumbed feta, cut the cheese into 2-cm cubes. Place the flour, eggs and crumb coating in three separate bowls.
- Coat the feta cubes first in the flour, then in the egg and finally in the crumb coating.
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry the feta until golden brown and crisp.
- Remove from the oil and drain on kitchen paper.
- Place the salad leaves on a serving platter and top with the tomatoes, olives, red onion, cucumber and crumbed feta.
- To make the dressing, combine all the ingredients and pour over the salad.
- Serve immediately.