Another salad recipe? In one week? Say what? You’d swear I was on some type of health kick or something. Well, I’m not not on a health kick, but that’s beside the point. I just could not keep this salad to myself any longer and had to share it, like now. Pretoria has had a few ridiculously hot, humid days lately and all I want to do when it’s that hot is to just sit in the pool, drink iced drinks and refreshing salads. This one, has been made countless times over the last two weeks and I can tell you, I won’t be stopping any time soon.
There’s something so absolutely mouth-watering about the classic combination of melon and prosciutto but add milky fior di latte and a zesty lemon dressing and you have a salad to drool over. It’s important you use the sweetest, ripest melon you can get your hands on so that the sweet juiciness highlights and compliments the rich, fattiness of the prosciutto. Serve this on a bed of baby leaves of your choice then casually break the fior di latte into bite-sized chunks and lazily place them in between the melon and prosciutto. Drizzle over the lemony dressing and tuck in. Such simplicity but so much flavour in every single bite. Perfection.
- 1 sweet melon
- 10 strips prosciutto crudo
- 150g fior di latte
- baby leaves of your choice
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- Halve the melon then scoop out the seeds.
- Cut each halve into 5 wedges then remove the skin.
- Wrap the prosciutto around the centre of each melon wedge.
- Scatter the baby leaves on a large platter then top with the prosciutto-wrapped melon wedges.
- Break the fior di latte into bite-sized chunks and place onto the platter.
- In a small bowl, mix together all the dressing ingredients then drizzle over the salad.
- Serve immediately.