Melon & prosciutto skewers are perfect served with bubbly for a fabulous start to your Christmas party.
When I decided to include starters & canapés in my Christmas special, I knew Melon & Prosciutto skewers would be part of it. Even though you can’t even really call it a recipe, as it is SO simple, it is till one of my favourite snacks to serve with bubbly or a cocktail. Not only is it easy and something you can make an hour or two in advance, it’s also just delicious and always seems to impress my guests.
As melon is in season in South Africa at the moment, I try to get the most fragrant melon I can and you can either chop it into bite-sized cubes like I’ve done or you can use a melon baller and make pretty melon balls. I used Prosciutto Crudo for these skewers but you can also use Parma ham or Prosciutto di Parma if you want. Right before serving I would suggest you drizzle some Balsamic reduction over the skewers but this is yet again, optional. I do however like the slight acidic sweetness it lends to the skewers. Make them an hour or two in advance and cover with plastic wrap to ensure the melon and Prosciutto don’t dry out. Serve with a few other canapés and lots of bubbly/cocktails for a great start to your party.
- 1 large fresh melon (spanspek), cut into cubes
- 70g Prosciutto
- Balsamic reduction (optional)
- Tear the prosciutto into thin strips.
- Thread the prosciutto and melon cubes onto cocktail skewers.
- Place on a serving platter of your choice and drizzle with Balsamic reduction (optional).
- Serve immediately (once the Balsamic reduction has been drizzled on top).