Easy chicken Bolognese with bacon is the perfect weeknight dinner recipe that can be ready in 30 minutes. It’s a little lighter than classic bolognese sauce but is no less delicious thanks to the addition of smoky bacon and loads of herbs.
I used chicken mince/ground chicken but you could easily use chicken thighs or breasts and braise them until soft and pull apart before combining with the sauce.
- Ground chicken / Chicken mince.
- Italian seasoning/herbs.
- Chilli flakes.
- Chopped tomatoes.
- Tomato paste.
- Chicken stock/Chicken broth.
- Pasta of your choice.
- Parmesan, to serve.
- Basil, to serve.
How to make chicken Bolognese
- Brown the chicken: Heat a deep pan over medium-high heat. Add the bacon and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from the pan then add the he onions, garlic and herbs and cook until fragrant. Add the chicken and cook until golden.
- Make the sauce: Add the bacon back to the pan then add the chilli flakes, tomatoes and stock. Season to taste then reduce the heat and simmer the sauce, partially covered, for 15-20 minutes. The sauce should be slightly reduced but not cooked dry. Stir in the parsley and season if necessary.
- Cook the pasta: Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook for 8-10 minutes until al dente (or follow package instructions). Drain the pasta.
- Serve: Serve the sauce over cooked pasta topped with Parmesan cheese and fresh basil.
Can you freeze chicken Bolognese?
Yes, Bolognese sauce freezes very well. Allow the cooked sauce to cool to room temperature then transfer to suitable freezing containers and freeze for up to 3 months. Allow to thaw overnight in the fridge then reheat over medium heat until hot and bubbling.
- 250 g (½lb) bacon finely chopped
- 1 red onion finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves thinly sliced
- 500 g (1lb) ground chicken / chicken mince
- 1 tsp Italian herbs / Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp oregano
- ½ tsp rosemary
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- 400 g (14oz) chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- pasta of your choice
- Parmesan to serve
- Basil to serve
- Heat a deep pan over medium-high heat. Add the bacon and cook for 5 minutes then remove from the pan. In the same pan, saute the onions, garlic and herbs until fragrant.
- Add the chicken. Season with salt and pepper and cook until golden brown.
- Add the bacon back to the pan then add the chilli flakes, tomatoes and stock.
- Season to taste then reduce the heat and simmer the sauce, partially covered, for 15-20 minutes. The sauce should be slightly reduced but not cooked dry.
- Stir in the parsley and season if necessary.
- Serve the sauce over pasta of your choice topped with Parmesan and fresh basil.