This easy homemade taco seasoning recipe is the perfect seasoning for everything from chicken and beef to shrimp and vegetables. It has a good bit of spicy kick and loads of aromatic depth.
Table of Contents
What’s in taco seasoning?
Taco seasoning contains spices that are typically associated with Mexican cuisine and tacos. Store-bought is perfectly fine to use but making your own taco seasoning gives you the freedom to tweak the seasoning to your own preference and taste with the added benefit of knowing what goes into it. No additives or weird anti-caking ingredients here. I used ground spices to make this as easy as possible but you can absolutely use cumin seeds that you toast and grind yourself, if you prefer.
- Ground cumin.
- Smoked paprika. Sweet paprika can be substituted.
- Dried oregano.
- Chili powder. We like a lot of spice in our food so feel free to play with the amount of chilli powder you add to your mix. I often use cayenne pepper if I am out of chilli powder.
- Chilli flakes / red pepper flakes.
- Garlic powder.
- Onion powder.
- Salt. Decrease the salt if you’re watching your sodium intake. I use fine sea salt but kosher salt also works.
- Black pepper.
How to make taco seasoning
It really couldn’t be simpler. Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl and stir to combine. You can do this in a jar too. Transfer the seasoning mixture to an airtight mason jar or container and store at room temperature.
How long does taco seasoning last?
This taco seasoning will keep in an airtight container for up to 2 months in the pantry which is why I always double this recipe to make a big batch. The onion powder has a tendency to clump but work out any clumps with a fork before using.
How much do I use?
For 500g/1 pound of ground beef (taco meat) chicken, shrimp, fish or vegetables, I would use 2-3 tablespoons of this seasoning.
What can I use taco seasoning on?
This seasoning can be used on absolutely any dishes you want to add more flavor to. The obvious candidates are all forms of protein but you can add a spoonful or two to everything from soups and stews to chili recipes.
- Mexican chicken soup with charred baby corn
- Chicken chili bowls with home-made tortilla chips
- Sweet and smoky cowboy beans
Homemade taco seasoning
- ¼ cup smoked paprika
- ¼ cup chilli powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp chilli flakes
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2 tsp black pepper
- Combine all the spices in a small mixing bowl.
- Mix until well combined.
- Transfer to an airtight container or jar and store for up to 2 months at room temperature.