Creamy Cacio e pepe mashed potatoes is flavored with Parmesan cheese, black pepper and garlic and is the perfect side dish recipe.
Full recipe and amounts can be found in the recipe card below.
- Potatoes. Use a starchy potato good for mashing. Depending on where you live, good mashing varieties include Russet, Yukon Gold, Maris Piper and King Edward. If you’re not sure, check the packaging. Often retailers will include info about what the potato is best for on the packaging.
- Milk. For a richer finish, use cream.
- Parmesan cheese.
- Garlic powder.
- Black pepper. Use freshly ground.
How to make Cacio e Pepe Mashed Potatoes
- Cook the potatoes: Place whole potatoes in a large pot and fill with water. Season generously with salt. Bring to a boil and cook for 30 minutes or until a sharp knife can easily be inserted. Drain the potatoes then allow to cool slightly. Peel the potatoes and discard the skins.
- Mash the potatoes: Add the milk, butter, Parmesan, salt, pepper and garlic powder and mash the potatoes to your preferred texture. Alternatively, use a potato ricer and stir in the remaining ingredients. Adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Serve: Transfer the mashed potatoes to a serving dish then add a knob of butter. Garnish with finely chopped parsley (or chives) and a generous grating of Parmesan cheese.
Making ahead and freezing
- Make ahead: The potatoes can be mashed a day in advance and kept covered in the fridge a day in advance.
- Freezing: Allow mashed potatoes to come to room temperature then transfer to a freezer-safe dish. Press a piece of parchment paper onto the surface of the potatoes, cover and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw completely before reheating.
How to reheat mashed potatoes
Transfer the cold potatoes to a pot and reheat over medium-low heat. You might need to add a splash of milk. Reheat, stirring regularly, until hot throughout.
Mashed potato recipes
- Sour cream cheddar mashed potatoes
- Parmesan garlic mashed potatoes
- Maple butter mashed sweet potatoes
Cacio e pepe mashed potatoes
- 1 kg/2lbs potatoes
- 1 cup milk
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1-2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt to taste
- Cook the potatoes in a large pot of salted water until a sharp knife can easily be inserted.
- Drain and allow to stand, uncovered, for 5 minutes for any steam to evaporate then peel the potatoes.
- Add the milk and butter and mash. Stir in the cheese and seasonings then season to taste with salt.
- Transfer the potatoes to a serving dish and add a knob of butter, a sprinkle of parsley and grated Parmesan to the top.