This easy recipe for maple butter mashed sweet potatoes will become a firm favorite in no time. The mash is so smooth and creamy and perfect as a side dish.
Creamy mashed sweet potatoes is such a luscious side dish for pretty much anything and is a regular feature on our family’s menu. From quick weeknight dinners where it’s served alongside chicken or pan-seared fish (any protein, really) or as part of a feast for Sunday lunch. Think roast chicken, crunchy roasted potatoes and green beans. Swoon! It’s also a fantastic form of carbohydrates, full of fiber and vitamin C. So it’s healthy to boot!
This version is our family’s favorite and is flavored with maple syrup, butter and thyme. It’s luscious and creamy and totally delicious and will make the perfect Thanksgiving side dish.
Full mashed sweet potatoes recipe can be found in the recipe card.
- Sweet potatoes.
- Maple syrup. Brown sugar or honey can be substituted.
- Butter. Use a butter alternative if you want this recipe to be vegan.
- Cream. Heavy/whipping. Use coconut milk or cashew cream if you’d prefer to keep this dairy-free.
- Salt and pepper.
How to make mashed sweet potatoes
- Cook the sweet potato: Peel sweet potatoes and chop into large chunks. Place in a steamer and scatter over fresh thyme. Steam until a fork can be inserted easily then remove and allow to rest for 10 minutes. This allows excess moisture to evaporate. If the sweet potatoes are too wet, the finished mash won’t be as creamy as it could be. Roasting the sweet potatoes whole on a baking sheet in the oven will also ensure minimal excess liquid. If you prefer to boil the sweet potatoes, boil them whole in a large pot until a knife can easily be inserted then drain, peel and allow to steam for 10 minutes to allow excess moisture to evaporate.
- Mash and season: Mash the sweet potatoes until smooth. Add a few tablespoons butter and a teaspoon or two of maple syrup. You don’t want to the sweet potatoes to be too sweet, taste as you go and adjust as necessary. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with a knob of butter and fresh thyme.
What is the best way to mash sweet potatoes?
For the creamiest mashed sweet potatoes, use an immersion blender or food processor. Alternatively you can use a hand mixer and whip the steamed sweet potatoes or use a hand masher. Because sweet potatoes are less starchy, you don’t risk the mashed potatoes becoming gummy when using a blender, like it would when you are making mashed potatoes. Therefore I would recommend using a stick blender.
What spices go with sweet potato mash?
Sweet potato is a great canvas for flavor. You can keep it classic and flavor it with herbs like thyme, sage or rosemary or jazz things up by flavoring it with curry spices like ground cinnamon, turmeric, coriander, cumin and cardamom. Smoked paprika, oregano and cayenne pepper all work well too.
Making ahead and storing
The finished sweet potato mash can be kept covered in the fridge for 1-2 days but to make it even further in advance, steam and mash the sweet potatoes without the butter and cream. This way the sweet potatoes can be kept covered in the fridge for up to 7 days. Simply add melted butter and cream to the sweet potatoes and heat over medium-low heat in a large saucepan.
- Slow braised beef short ribs
- Chicken fried steak
- Easy Parmesan crusted chicken
- Easy Tuscan roast chicken
Maple butter mashed sweet potatoes
- 1 kg (2lbs) sweet potatoes peeled and chopped into large chunks
- 10 stalks fresh thyme
- 2-3 tbsp maple syrup
- 5 tbsp butter room temperature/melted
- ¼ cup whipping/heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp thyme finely chopped
- Steam the sweet potato with the fresh thyme until a knife can easily be inserted.
- Remove from the heat and allow to rest for 10 minutes, uncovered, allowing excess moisture to evaporate.
- Place the steamed sweet potatoes, butter and cream in a large bowl then mash until smooth. Season to taste with maple syrup, salt and pepper and add the time.
How long does it take to steam the sweet potato chunks?
Approximately 20-30 mins.
Made my mouth water reading the recipe, can’t wait to cook this sweet potato mash with maple syrup for the family, thanks for all the tasty recipes.
Incredible! I’ve never had sweet potato mash like this. Can’t wait to make it for my family on Thanksgiving.
Yay! So good to hear.
That looks so delicious!
So smooth and creamy! yum!
Smooth like butter. 😉
Made this for Sunday lunch with roast chicken. My husband literally licked out the bowl and it was the first time my kids actually finished their mash. Thank you so much for an excellent recipe.
Oh yay! I am so happy to hear you and your family liked this. 🙂