This easy recipe for maple butter mashed sweet potatoes will become a firm favorite in no time. The mash is so smooth and creamy and perfect as a side dish.
Creamy mashed sweet potatoes is such a luscious side dish for pretty much anything and is a regular feature on our family’s menu. From quick weeknight dinners where it’s served alongside chicken or pan-seared fish or as part of a feast for Sunday lunch (it is particularly fabulous served with roast chicken and crunchy potatoes).
This version is our family’s favorite and is flavored with maple syrup, butter and thyme. It’s luscious and creamy and totally delicious and will make the perfect Thanksgiving side dish.
How do you make easy mashed sweet potatoes?
Peel sweet potatoes and chop into large chunks. Steam until a knife can be inserted easily then remove and allow to rest for 10 minutes. This allows excess moisture to evaporate. If the sweet potatoes are too wet, the finished mash won’t be as creamy as it could be. Mash the sweet potatoes with maple syrup and butter and season with salt and pepper.
What is the best way to mash sweet potatoes?
For the creamiest mashed sweet potatoes, use an immersion blender or food processor. Alternatively you can use a hand blender and whip the steamed sweet potatoes or use a hand masher.
What spices go with sweet potato mash?
Sweet potato is a great canvas for flavor. You can keep it classic and flavor it with herbs like thyme, sage or rosemary or jazz things up by flavoring it with curry spices like turmeric, coriander, cumin and cardamom. Smoked paprika, oregano and cayenne pepper all work well too.
Making ahead and storing
The finished sweet potato mash can be kept covered in the fridge for a 1-2 days but to make it even further in advance, steam and mash the sweet potatoes without the butter and cream. This way the sweet potatoes can be kept covered in the fridge for up to 7 days. Simply add melted butter and cream to the sweet potatoes and heat over medium-low heat in a saucepan.
- Slow braised beef short ribs
- Chicken fried steak
- Easy Parmesan crusted chicken
- Easy Tuscan roast chicken
Maple butter mashed sweet potatoes
- 1 kg (2lbs) sweet potatoes peeled and chopped into large chunks
- 10 stalks fresh thyme
- 2-3 tbsp maple syrup
- 5 tbsp butter room temperature/melted
- ¼ cup whipping/heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp thyme finely chopped
- Steam the sweet potato with the fresh thyme until a knife can easily be inserted.
- Remove from the heat and allow to rest for 10 minutes, uncovered, allowing excess moisture to evaporate.
- Place the steamed sweet potatoes, butter and cream in a large bowl then mash until smooth. Season to taste with maple syrup, salt and pepper and add the time.