Easy grilled zucchini salad recipe with charred corn, feta cheese and peppery arugula is a delicious, gluten free and vegetarian summer salad.
The side dishes are almost always the highlight of any summer gathering. Of course the grilled meat or fish is delicious, but salads made with fresh vegetables like corn, zucchini, tomatoes and cucumbers are just too good to pass up. Add peppery leaves like arugula or rocket and creamy, salty cheese like feta or goat’s cheese and you have sides your guests will swoon over.
Instead of a raw zucchini salad, I love grilling the zucchini and corn to make the most of their flavor and bring out their sweetness. I made a simple lemon vinaigrette but you could use any salad dressing of your choice.
- Fresh zucchini or yellow summer squash.
- Corn. Fresh or frozen. If you’re using corn on the cob, grill it with the zucchini then slice the kernels off the cob.
- Feta cheese. Crumbled goat cheese can be substituted. Parmesan cheese or Pecorino Romano shavings will also be delicious.
- Arugula / Rocket. Fresh herbs like basil, coriander/cilantro, dill, chives or parsley can be used instead.
- Extra virgin Olive oil.
- Fresh lemon juice.
- Salt and pepper.
- Other options: Thinly sliced red onion, toasted pine nuts, cherry tomatoes and cubes of avocado will all be great added to this salad.
How to make zucchini salad (summary)
- Prepare the zucchini: Slice fresh zucchini into thick slices with a sharp knife. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Heat an outdoor grill or grill pan over high heat. Grill the zucchini until golden brown on both sides.
- Assemble the salad: Place the grilled zucchini in a large bowl and add the corn, crumbled feta cheese and fresh arugula (rocket).
- Dress and serve: Dress simply with olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper and serve.
Can you make grilled zucchini salad in advance?
This salad can be made up to a day in advance. Just add the arugula and dressing before serving as the leaves will wilt and become soggy.
What to serve with zucchini salad
- Easy grilled steak
- Greek pork souvlaki
- Lemon herb chicken breasts
- White wine garlic salmon
- Greek grilled chicken skewers
- Zucchini feta crustless quiche
- Fresh Zucchini & Goat’s cheese Bruschetta
- Zucchini and mushroom carbonara
- Chicken Souvlaki with zucchini tzatziki
Corn and grilled zucchini salad
- 500 g (1lb) zucchini
- 2 cups corn
- 1 cup feta cheese crumbled
- 2 cups arugula / rocket
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- juice of ½ lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- Slice the zucchini into thick slices. Drizzle with olive oil then grill in a grill pan until golden brown and charred on both sides.
- Remove from the pan and place in a large bowl.
- Add the corn to the hot pan and cook until golden brown.
- Place the charred corn into the bowl with the zucchini then add the crumbled feta cheese and fresh arugula (rocket).
- Drizzle olive oil and lemon juice over the salad and season to taste. Toss and serve.
What other dressing will work with this if I were to add chopped steak into the mix?
I would keep the dressing exactly as is. It will be delicious with steak.
Can you use kale instead?
Yes, you can.
Made this for dinner last night, following the recipe closely. Wasn’t sure how this taste combo was going to be, but it was DELISH! Hubby and I both loved it! Will make again!
This was delicious and easy. It we definitely be on my summer rotation.
This was delicious and easy. It wi definitely be on my summer rotation.
Making this for the 4th today! I’ve added grilled purple onions and fresh yellow tomatoes at the end.
Could you use spinach instead of arugula?
Can I make it and keep it overnight in the fridge to use it the next day?
This was a massive hit at our 4th celebrations. Thanks for a great recipe.
So happy to hear that Beth! 🙂
This salad was delicious and unusual. I’ve never used grilled zucchini in a salad before but it was a great addition!
Isn’t it such a great way to use zucchini? I’m so glad you liked it. 🙂