You know those days where you just don’t want to get out of bed? You don’t want to do anything but laze around and be as sloth-like as possible? Well, I’ve had an entire week of that. I have been feeling so meh. No inspiration, no will power. I just want to lie down and eat. I think it’s this time of the year though. I always have a slump in energy during September, even though this is my favourite time of the year. A few months of solid working catches up with me and my mojo tank is pretty much empty. But I just have two weeks to go before a long weekend on the Kwazulu Natal coast with my little family. Hopefully that will boost my creativity a bit. *holding thumbs*
For now though, I’m relying on shortcuts and quick cheats which is what I did when I made these easy chicken fajitas last week. I used a rotisserie chicken bought from my local supermarket which I shredded and jazzed up with spices and other flavourings. Along with quickly fried onions and peppers, this makes the perfect filling for a tortilla wrap. I added a dollop of smooth avocado cream to sooth the burn from the smoked chillies and this resulted in a really great, casual dinner. This one will be pulled out whenever I am too lazy to stand in the kitchen for longer than, oh, 15 minutes? Easy? Check? Delicious? Double check!
As an afterthought, I absolutely love seeing when you guys cook from the blog and love it when I’m tagged in photos on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook. If you decide to cook this recipe (or any really) from the blog, feel free to tag me and use the hashtag #simplydelicious so that I can see them! Happy cooking!
Table of Contents
Easy chicken fajitas with roasted corn and avocado cream
- 2 ears of corn
- 1 red onion thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper de-seeded and sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper de-seeded and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 rotisserie chicken shredded (bones & skin discarded)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2-1 teaspoon smoked chilli flakes
- juice of 1 lemon
- salt & pepper to taste
for the avocado cream
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- salt to taste
- tortilla wraps warmed
- fresh coriander
- Roast the corn under a hot grill or in a griddle pan until cooked through.
- In the meantime, Heat a large frying pan over high heat then add a splash of oil.
- Sauté the onions until they start to brown then add the peppers.
- Cut the corn off the cob and set aside.
- Fry the vegetables for 5-7 minutes until they start to soften then add the chicken, corn, garlic, spices and lemon juice.
- Fry for another 30 seconds then season to taste.
- To make the avocado cream, blend all the ingredients together and season to taste.
- To serve, spread a generous dollop of the avo cream on the warmed tortillas then top with a generous spoonful of the chicken and peppers. Add a sprig of fresh coriander and serve.