If I had to only eat one meal for the rest of my life, it would be breakfast. I adore breakfast. In every way, shape and form. There’s just nothing like a good, perfectly cooked egg with some crusty bread and maybe a bit of bacon and oooh some roasted tomatoes and mushrooms… See? I’m a bit obsessed. And then something else I could also eat for the rest of my life are sandwiches. Good grief, I love a good sandwich. Whether it be the simplest white bread with bovril or a full on steak sarmie with all the trimmings, I could have them all day, every day. “So why not combine the two?” I hear you say. Well I’m right there with you.
What could be better than a proper English-style breakfast with all the trimmings on bread? Not much, to be honest. This is just the perfect sandwich and such a great way to serve your regular breakfast. Every bite is filled with salty, smokiness from the bacon, sweetness from the tomatoes and mushrooms and creaminess from the perfectly fried eggs. Add to that the crunch from the bread and the smooth, silkyness of the mayo and I mean, perfection, right? Right!
The Ultimate breakfast sandwiches
for the roasted tomatoes and mushrooms
- 2 large tomatoes sliced into 1cm slices
- 4-6 medium brown mushrooms
- 1 clove of garlic thinly sliced
- Balsamic vinegar
- olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
for the sandwich
- bacon fried
- 2-4 fried eggs
- bread of your choice toasted
- baby spinach leaves
- salt & pepper to taste
- Pre-heat the oven to 220°c and place the tomatoes and mushrooms on a non-stick baking tray.
- Drizzle with the olive oil, balsamic and garlic and season to taste.
- Roast for 15-20 minutes until the vegetables are soft and starting to caramelise.
- When the tomatoes and mushrooms are cooked, remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly.
- To assemble the sandwich, generously spread the slices of bread with mayo then top with the baby spinach, tomatoes, bacon, mushrooms and finally the fried egg.
- Add the remaining slices of bread then serve immediately.
OMG!!!! I love love love this breakfast so so much. And yes, I, too, could eat this for the rest of my life. Your photos are inspiring, and the recipe is so mouthwatering.. I am loving this so much 🙂
Farah @ The Cooking Jar
Bovril! I like that you love it too! And the first pic really made one heck of a statement. Take that sandwich! Seriously though, love the combination of flavors you got going there. That’s one packed looking sandwich.
Thanks Farah! And how can anyone NOT love Bovril? Seriously, I don’t get it!
Through Oana's Lens
You’re so right! This is the best breakfast sandwich. Loving it!