This creamy cashew chicken curry is so quick and easy to make and is absolutely delicious served with warm roti for an easy weeknight dinner.
It’s the time of the year that I am most jealous of Americans or anyone living there. Fall just seems to be a magical time over there. With the pumpkins, apples, caramel, pretty leaves and the anticipation of Halloween, I am filled with a feeling of longing and it’s no wonder that I do whatever I can to emulate it over here. Although, it’s not all that easy because while it’s not exactly boiling (yet), I still can’t indulge in my love of baking and the level of comfort food that is associated with Fall/Autumn. You guys, if it’s this warm in September, we are going to be boiling come December/January. *sob*
So I compromise. This creamy cashew chicken curry recipe is a prime example of this compromise. Comfort food made in minutes to that my time spent in the kitchen is kept to a minimum. Plus, this recipe is made even more awesome by that fact that you only need one pan to do all the cooking and I’m not lying when I say it cooks in minutes. Prep to plate in less than 30 minutes which is ideal for busy weeknights when the kids need help with their homework and the baby needs to be fed and all you really want is a cocktail and to be left alone to watch Suits. (My Harvey addiction has reached new levels you guys.)
And what’s better than one One-pot, easy weeknight recipe? Two, of course. My friend Karen from the lovely blog Seasonal Cravings has created this incredible recipe for Brown sugar pork chops that can be popped into the oven while you pour yourself a glass of wine. I was so pleased when Karen agreed to be part of my blogger collaboration because her blog is one of my favourites. It is filled with delicious, healthy recipes with the odd decadent treat to keep things balanced. Her use of seasonal, wholesome ingredients to create quick recipes is just awesome and if you are ever in need of dinner inspiration, head on over to Seasonal Cravings. You will leave salivating!
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 teaspoon crushed ginger
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons curry powder/garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon sugar optional
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 4 skinless chicken breasts cubed
- salt & pepper to taste
- toasted coconut flakes
- sliced chillies
- finely chopped coriander
- steamed rice
- Soak the almonds and cashews in 1½ cups of boiling water for 5 minutes before blending until fine.
- In the meanwhile, fry the onion, garlic and ginger in a tablespoon of coconut oil (or any other oil of your choice) until soft and fragrant.
- Add the spices and fry for another 30 seconds then pour in the blended nuts, sugar and coconut milk and allow to come to a simmer.
- Add the chicken breast cubes and turn the heat down. Allow the curry to simmer for 10-12 minutes. If the sauce is too thick for your liking, you can add ½-1 cup of chicken stock or water. When the chicken is just cooked and the sauce has thickened, season to taste.
- Serve the curry topped with toasted coconut flakes, sliced chillies and chopped coriander and warmed roti or steamed rice.