Making your own chicken nuggets is dead easy and these crispy chicken pops are a great, easy snack or lunch served with salad.
Full recipe and amounts can be found in the recipe card below.
- Chicken. I used boneless, skinless chicken breasts but you can use chicken thighs too.
- Smoked paprika.
- Dried oregano.
- Salt and pepper.
- Oil, for frying. I use canola oil but any vegetable oil will work.
How to make chicken pops
- Bread the chicken: Chop skinless, boneless chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces. Season flour with salt, pepper, paprika and oregano and beat a few eggs into a separate bowl. Dip the chicken first into the flour, then into the egg and again into the flour. If you want a thicker coating, repeat this process.
- Cook the chicken: Heat oil in a large, deep pot over medium-high heat. Fry the chicken pops in hot oil until golden brown and crisp. Remove from the oil with a slotted spoon then drain on paper towels before serving.
Can I make this ahead?
The chicken is definitely best served immediately but the chicken can be chopped and kept covered in the fridge for up to a day. The breaded chicken can be kept at room temperature for an hour before frying. Cooked chicken pops can be reheated in a preheated oven for 10 minutes until hot throughout.
What to serve with chicken pops
- Easy oven baked fries with fry sauce
- Summer grilled corn salad
- Easy creamy condensed milk potato salad
- Easy spicy garlic baked potato wedges
Crispy chicken recipes
Crispy chicken pops
- 4 large skinless de-boned chicken breasts
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked pepper
- 3 eggs
- oil for frying
- Heat the oil in a large, deep pot.
- Cut the chicken breasts into bite-sized chunks.
- Place the flour into a bowl and add the spices then whisk well to combine.
- Place the eggs into a separate bowl and whisk well.
- Coat the chicken first in the flour, dusting off the excess, then in the egg and again in the flour. You can repeat this step to create a thicker coating.
- Carefully place the coated chicken in the hot oil and fry for 3-4 minutes until the chicken is crisp and golden brown and cooked through.
- Remove from the oil and drain on kitchen paper.
- Serve with fresh lemon and ketchup for dipping.