Pickled chillies is a delicious and easy way to preserve spicy peppers. Keep a jar in the fridge and serve with sandwiches, tacos and nachos.
I love pickling things. Especially when I have an abundance of in-season produce that I know I won’t get through. Recently I had a huge bag of fresh chillies (chili peppers) and decided to use a few ways to preserve them. I made a big batch of chilli oil but also decided to make a few jars of pickled chillies (pickled peppers).
You can leave chillies whole or slice them as I’ve done. I find they are easier to serve when they’re sliced already in the pickling liquid. They are delicious on pizzas, nachos, tacos and sandwiches and the spicy pickle juice is fantastic in salad dressings and marinades.
Table of Contents
- Chillies. I used red chillies (bird’s eye chillies) but you can use any variety of your choice. This recipe works well with Thai chillies, jalapeños, habaneros, etc.
- White vinegar.
- Bay leaves.
- Mustard seeds.
- Coriander seeds.
How to pickle chillies
Sterilize glass jars then fill with sliced chillies or spicy peppers of your choice and bay leaves. In a saucepan over medium heat, combine vinegar, coriander seeds, mustard seeds, salt and sugar. Bring to a boil and stir to dissolve the sugar. Pour the boiling hot liquid into the jars, filling right to the top. Carefully seal the jar with a tight fitting lid and allow to cool to room temperature then transfer to the fridge. Allow the chillies to pickle for at least an hour (slice them thinner if you want them to pickle quickly) but I prefer them after 2-3 days.
How long do pickled peppers last?
These peppers will last at least 1-2 months kept in the fridge unopened. After opening, they will last 2-3 weeks.
How to use pickled chillies
Serve pickled chillies or pickled peppers on pizza, nachos, tacos and sandwiches. They also make an excellent spicy addition to cheese and charcuterie boards and are delicious served alongside rice dishes and stir-fries. The pickling liquid is delicious in dressings and marinades.
Easy pickle recipes
Easy quick pickled chillies
- 500 g (1lb) chillies / peppers sliced
- ½ cup white or cider vinegar
- ½ cup water
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 2 bay leaves
- Place chillies/peppers and bay leaf in a hot, sterilized 475ml (1-pint) jar.
- Bring vinegar, sugar, water, salt and spices to a boil in an enameled saucepan.
- Ladle hot pickling liquid over chillies. Carefully tighten the lid (use a band or cloth as the jar will be hot) and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Transfer pickled chillies to the fridge and store in refrigerator up to 4 months.