Rich and buttery, this Eggnog pound cake flavored with rum, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg is like Christmas in cake form. The perfect festive treat.
Pound cakes are known for their buttery, rich flavor and I think it’s the perfect cake to infuse with some Christmas spice and rum. Eggnog is as synonymous with the festive season as Christmas trees so it’s just apt to turn a simple cake into something Mrs Claus will approve of.
How to make pound cake
- Pound cake is made with the creaming method. Beat the butter and sugar together until it is well-combined, light and creamy. It’s important for the butter to be at room temperature otherwise it won’t incorporate well with the sugar.
- Add the eggs, one a time. Beat the eggs in and scrape down the sides of the bowl in between each addition.
- Sifting the dry ingredients together will make sure the spices are evenly distributed but will also add some airiness to the cake.
- Mix the dry ingredient and the milk into the batter, alternating between the two. Meaning, Mix a few tablespoons of the dry ingredients in, then a few tablespoons of the milk, and so forth until everything has been incorporated. The batter will be smooth and creamy.
- Transfer to a lined loaf pan and bake until golden brown. A skewer inserted will come out clean when the cake is baked.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before pouring over the glaze.
Making ahead and freezing
- Make ahead: This cake can be made the day ahead and kept in an airtight container at room temperature. Leftovers can be kept covered at room temperature for up to 2 days.
- Freezing: The baked and cooled cake can be frozen for up to 3 months. Wrap well with plastic wrap and foil and freeze. Slices can also be frozen individually for easier thawing.
Loaf cake recipes
- Easy lemon drizzle cake
- Lemon coconut oil cake
- Passion fruit yogurt cake with white chocolate drizzle
Eggnog pound cake
Rich and buttery, this Eggnog pound cake flavored with rum, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg is like Christmas in cake form. The perfect festive treat.Print Pin Rate Add to Shopping ListGo to Shopping List
- 1 cup butter room temperature
- 1 cup sugar room temperature
- 4 extra-large eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 2 tbsp rum (alternatively use ½ tsp rum essence)
For the icing
- ½ cup powdered / icing sugar
- 2-3 tbsp milk
- 2 tsp melted butter
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F. Grease and line a standard loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Scrape down the bowl and mix again.
- Sift together the dry ingredients and pour the vanilla extract and rum into the milk. .
- Add the dry ingredients and milk, alternating between the two until the batter is smooth and creamy.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared loaf pan and place in the oven.
- Allow to bake for 20-25 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Mix together the icing ingredients then pour over the cooled cake.
- Allow to set for 5 minutes then serve.
Calories: 272kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 81mg | Sodium: 243mg | Potassium: 91mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 18g | Vitamin A: 172IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 52mg | Iron: 2mg
wow, interesting pound cake, tweak, would never have thought of an egg nogg version, very creative, thank you!